How does one become a breeder

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I wonder. I often thought about this. Do you have a cat of a certain breed that you like and then decide to learn more about that specific breed, or is it a general interest in feline genetics?

comradekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow what a question. I live in Maine and began with Maine Coons, what else? You know I don't think I can say why. I always loved having kittens around when I was a kid. Selling the first few litters was very very hard, I learned if I only gave them pet names like, kitty girl, kitty boy it became easier, of course my prospective buyers were given the 3rd degree. I became involved with the Siberian breed before they even came into the US, I was one of the first breeders to have Siberians in the US. I bred them to be able to get the breed out to new breeders. It is difficult with a new breed just new to the US, but it was fun. I am no longer breeding due to a cat dying of FIP well over a year ago and felt I could not take the risk of selling to someone an animal that might die before its time. I have altered most of my breeders and they live here. The stud males run free now and sleep on the bed - I am happy to say I have lost no other cats - breeding is a lot of work with no profit - all the money went back into cat food, litter and cat shows. Hope this helps
Linda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think FIP must be the breeders' nightmare! I read so much about it being the cause for whole catteries to go out of business.

comradekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well,, I knew someone here in Maine where I live that bred and showed Maine Coons - they are beautiful. But I saw an article in Friskies magazine about the SIberian - it had never been in the US before & I began corresponding with the woman who was bringing them in. The Maine Coons had started to take on a very feral look, the Siberian had the sweet face of the old style Maine Coon - I fell in love with the breed. I still have a couple of Maine Coons here from years back but I will always love my SIberians - they are a marvelous breed. Getting in on the ground floor and presenting the breed to CFF was a challenge and great fun. They are very intelligent and very loving cats. Linda

comradekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of unanswered questions re: FIP - I choose to stop breeding with one confirmed case - this was my choise - some breeders just keep on going - their is a very good mailing list for FIP if anyone is interested.

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started with Siamese many years ago. I still love the siamese but fell into a pet persian from a friend whose child became allergic. It was just pet stock but I started to really like the laid back manner. Breeding them evolved from there. I still have two of my old siamese. My tom who is now an 18 yrs. old neuter, and a favourite old queen. In persians, I have one tom and three queens. All my cats live as household pets, underfoot!!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Harriet,
I need some info on Persians!! I had one given to me. I have only had him for about a month and already he has been to the Dr because if a cold and now the ringworm. He had it when I got him!! The cold went away, but is now back dang it!! How much do their eyes really run?? What exactly am I in for. I breed munchkins and know nothing about this breed!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Harriet & Sandie - Thank you both for the great info!

Harriet - could you please post any info related to breeding Persians in a new thread? It would make it easier for other visitors to find it.

Thanks!

harriet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Sandie. There is no question that the eyes ( and nasal drainage ducts ) are somewhat compromised by the push in face. There are some lines that are "dryer eyed " than others. I innoculate all my cats for Chlamydia. I think it really makes a difference with persians. You do get some weeping to the eyes regardless. I never have to wipe my cats. Their normal grooming habits keep the eyes clear. If your cat's eyes are weeping more than the cat can keep clean, I am not talking about the staining, just the crud, then perhaps you do have some mild infection. Any catteries that I have visited that have really weepy eyes, don't routinely vaccinate for Chlamydia. That seemed proof enough for me!!!

judy miller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I always liked the bigger cats. I hadn't raised any kittens for several years and I missed it. I looked into the Maine Coons, and I didn't like what I heard about the cardiomyopathy. I heard about this from several of the breeders. Then I saw an ad about the Siberian. When I looked into this breed I found out that they were fairly new, good size, and had no health problems to speak of.
The more I heard, the more I wanted these cats. They sounded wonderful! And they are.
They are becoming more popular every day. Some days the phone won't quit ringing! And email inquiries just about everyday, too.
So far, mine have been extremely healthy. The Mothers are very good milkers and I have had them raise seven with no problems, and not lose any weight.
They seem to be very good for people with allergies. Some people who have never been able to live with a cat, get along fine with a Siberian.
Judy