How Does My Kitten Stack Up In Quality?

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, as many of you know, I do fostering, with a household of eight, soon to be mine, furrever cats and up to six babies at any given time, but, I have always been passionate about the beauty and personality of Maine Coons, and always wanted one. I sought out a breeder I found to be of high ethics with their policies, in a state with low overpopulation and decided, just once, to buy a Maine Coon. I've loved Maine Coons ever since I got Hex, my Maine Coon mix that was Cat of the Week here once for his mad foster dad skills and love of kittens, who is still part of my "staff" today, comforting needy kittens who, for whatever reason, have been separated from their mothers.

The breeder I am purchasing from has a stunning solid white stud of 100% European bloodline. I found out that he, and the female of theirs, 50% European, that I think is the most beautiful had a planned litter and got third in line. It all worked out, because I got the kitten I wanted, a solid white with blue eyes who resembles his father's kitten pictures more closely than any kitten they've ever produced imo (I may or may not have stalked past litters to see what to expect). He's also the largest of the litter, where his father is 20lbs and his mother's father is 22lbs.

I guess I have a few questions here:
• Can you tell much about quality from this age?
• If so, how does my kitten rate, quality wise?
• What are the positives and negatives in his features?

I really don't care that much in the long run. I'm contractually obligated to have him neutered and I don't know how common shows for cats that aren't intact are. I've also never showed before. I don't even know why I'm asking. Curiosity, I guess. I'd love him no matter what, and a breed standard won't interfere with that. I'd just like to know, I guess, and it'll give me some idea of what he'll look like as a grown-up, as we all wonder with our babies.

I must admit I feel guilty for buying from a breeder, but I'm really passionate about this breed, and searched rescues and shelters before seeking out a breeder, and have tried to be as ethical as possible with the process.

Attachments

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will leave the quality question to those more experienced with the breed, but I want to say he is ADORABLE! I would suggest if you purchased him as a pet that you should talk to the breeder before showing him. Sometimes there are restrictions on showing a cat purchased as a pet. You can show an altered cat the same as a whole cat. They compete against the other alters.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn MistyDawn - He is adorable, but there's little we can really tell about him right now. He has excellent muzzle breadth, and the set of his jaw seems fine as well. He currently has great lynx tips, though this sometimes changes as Maine Coons grow.

As to colour, only time will tell. At this point, from these images, it doesn't seem that he'll be stark white, but again, time alone will tell the whole story.

Would you be willing to share a few generations of his pedigree with us? His looks seem - to my uneducated eye - more an American style Main Coon than the current European style, which seem to be more given to 'extremes' than their American Cousins:

mightyboosh mightyboosh or @stefanz - could you weigh in with a little more breed expertise, please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Without some serious digging, I don't know anything beyond sire and dame, but I can show them. His father is a sight to behold and definitely European.

Three pics of Dad, two of Mom.

Attachments

Last edited:

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, he is very young. I've seen pictures of his half siblings at that kitten's age and they look just like that one.

This kitten is either a half or whole sibling. I think my kitten is just too young to develop those features yet, as was said in a previous post.

Attachments

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll say one thing that really stands out about his face to me is the combination of that broad muzzle and elegant cheekbones. He has the most beautiful cheekbones. The sweeping lines of his face look like a really fuzzy statue to me. :lol:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without some serious digging, I don't know anything beyond sire and dame, but I can show them. His father is a sight to behold and definitely European.

Three pics of Dad, two of Mom.
MistyDawn MistyDawn - Right on both counts; he's certainly European, and absolutely stunning. Mom's no slouch herself.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He's such a cute little kitten! His parents are absolutely gorgeous! His dad appears to be quite impressive in size, mom is very stunning as well. Beautiful lynx tips on the whole family! :)

I don't have a ton of experience with the breed, so sorry I couldn't get into more specifics. I hope to see more pictures of your kitten as he grows up!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely be sure to keep you guys up to date on pictures. As the biggest of his litter, I really hope he grows to the size of his 20lb dad. Either way, I just know he's going to be beautiful.

His full name, if anyone was wondering, is Artcityclaws' Alaskan White Lion.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And much thanks to all who chimed in on quality, especially 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine who gave the most info so far. I am no expert and I might be biased, but he definitely has the winning muzzle in his litter.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He looks to have the quality all right and you may have trouble keeping him DOWN to 20lbs but in my book, the bigger the better.
Thank you for your expertise! And yes, I love large cats! You think he's going to be huge, then? He is the biggest of a litter of 6, half male and half female. Are there any indications of potential size that you can tell by looking at him besides just his size compared to his littermates? And is it possible he could be bigger than dad or mom's dad?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your expertise! And yes, I love large cats! You think he's going to be huge, then? He is the biggest of a litter of 6, half male and half female. Are there any indications of potential size that you can tell by looking at him besides just his size compared to his littermates? And is it possible he could be bigger than dad or mom's dad?
MistyDawn MistyDawn - With good nutrition, it's very possible. Genetics certainly plays a rôle here, but the key is to provide the best possible diet. Maine Coons will tip the scales at 30 to 40 pounds - just as Wegies will.

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
MistyDawn MistyDawn - With good nutrition, it's very possible. Genetics certainly plays a rôle here, but the key is to provide the best possible diet. Maine Coons will tip the scales at 30 to 40 pounds - just as Wegies will.
I feed Instinct brand to my cats. I've heard endless praise for Royal Canin but from a look at the ingredients, they seem equally as good.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your White lion is lovely a d quite a suning kitty! I don't know if It is the resolution of my screen or something about the picture, but It looks like he has a creamy patch just like his mom, doesn't him?
As posiepurrs posiepurrs said, It would be a great idea talking with the breeder about showing your boy, you will surely recieve a ton of wise advices from such a conversation.
Do not feel guilty for buying a cat from a reputable breder when you are doing so much to provide good homes for so many lovely cats. Also, as the general trend we are living towards nowadays is sterilizing/neutering as many stray and feral cats as possible, and most pets too, if It were not for breeders there wouldn't be much future for them as a especies, so breeders are necessary too, aren't them?

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico Thank you for your wise and thoughtful post. I'd never thought of it that way. That makes me feel better. I did ask the breeder for permission and she said that's perfectly fine with her. She's a sweet lady and I highly recommend Artcityclaws to anyone in Michigan or nearby.

I took him home yesterday. I'll be posting more pictures in a new thread celebrating his homecoming. If anyone has any more answers on his quality from these new pictures, please feel free to chime in!

MistyDawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No spots or anything. He is solid white. I think they just had a bad camera. Blue eyes, too, which I know is only permitted in all white cats. Here's a better photo I've taken where his face is more visible, a profile, and a full body fancy schmancy full body filtered pic I took on him sleeping on a book. Do you think he has potential? -- I know it's still too early to tell a lot, but just going off what you can note. He has a VERY strong chin, which my husband and I often call the "Bruce Campbell Chin". I just can't seem to get a picture that does it justice.

FB_IMG_1509324153285.jpg
IMG_20171106_021837723.jpg