how does freeze dried (reconstituted) weigh in? Repost - kitties hijacked my keyboard last time

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been pricing various options and wondered if anyone includes freeze dried meal that you mix with water (such as Stella & Chewys) in their rotation or uses it as their main source of raw?

Turns out it's less for me to buy Primal nuggets locally than to order the grinds from Hare Today and add the supplements.  I just can't find a more local source of meat/bone/organ grinds.  I think prey model raw would be a good way to go if I can resource the organs locally and use supplements but I've always gotten nauseated handling raw meat to some extent and after recently chopping some meat and organs to see if my kitties would eat it - I've been off my own "feed" for 3 days!  LOL!

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i started my cat on freeze dried raw a couple weeks ago. i tried it just by itself, or with some water but now I mix all the flavors with grain free cubed turkey canned food( I tried a variety of flavors, that's the only one she liked), but she's gotten a lot more energy now which is probably not a good idea since she was crazy before going on it lol.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Stella&Chewy's in rotation with PMR, Rad Cat and canned. Two cats get the Stella &Chewy's, several meals a week, each. Mazy can't have bone, so she does not get S&C

.8 oz (point 8, ) before rehydration is about equal to one three ounce can. I usually weigh out .2 (point two) oz, add water and count it as a meal of .75 oz.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can purchase the freeze dried Primal affordably, there's no reason not to use it! I do recommend continuing to rotate in the NV if you can for the variety, rather than rely on just one brand. But if handling raw meat makes you feel so nauseous you can't eat for a few days, that really isn't going to be a long term feeding option for you! :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I appreciate the input.  I think the FD could be a good contender in my rotation.  Even the frozen raw commercial makes me gag a bit. I do seem to be trying to ignore the fact that handling raw meat makes me nauseous.  As it is when we grill our own meals, my husband handles the meat entirely for me!  Has anyone used Sojos freeze dried?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love Stella and Chewy's freeze dried raw it is the only raw food frank will eat and the only one that does not make him vomit. Right now it makes up their main diet but i also add homemade cooked and canned sometimes. Primal and Ziwipeak do freeze dried as well but both made frank throw up but Ava was fine on them. I have never heard of sojos before so can't speak to that brand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried the more economical Sojos and Vital Essentials (great formula, more economical) and my kitties said "no way."  I tried the Stella & Chewy's and they snarfed it down like it was their Primal raw frozen. - they loved it!

It would be less expensive to feed the S&C freeze dried so I'm thinking of making that their main staple too.  Franksmom - I'm glad Ava didn't throw up on the S&C - makes me wonder what was in the other ones that did!