How Do Your Cats React After You've Been Gone?

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently got back from a 4-day trip and Lola has much more clingy. She is rubbing me as a greeting (she doesn't do that often). Also, she has chosen to lay next to me on my bed. Normally she sleeps on the end of it at my feet.
This also makes me sad because I'm going on a week-long trip soon and I know she'll miss me.
So, do your cats behave differently after you've been away on a trip?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're a little "clingy" for a day or two after I come home, but they go back to normal after that.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I never leave my cats for more than a few hours. My cats have temperaments more like a dog than a cat and one has separation anxiety. But generally they come to the door when I get home.

If I go away the cats come with me.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Every year when we go back home to my country for our annual vacation we leave the cats behind for 30-45 days. Everytime we come back, my Bourbon gets extra clingy for several days, as if afraid I'd leave them again. Then will return to her normal self after a while. This lasts around a week or more.

LittleShadow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Molly gets clingier than normal. Abandoned mama cat, now named Mia, generally is headed straight to me the moment she hears the doorknob. The kittens usually welcome me back from even short times away by hissing...then coming towards me and sitting expectantly near the food bowls. ;)

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been away for the whole of last week doing race car setups and being the first time I have left Blue for any length of time I was really interested in how he would behave when I got home last night. He heard my voice outside and started yelling at the top of his voice.
Went inside and he didn't know what to do...ran to food dish..ran back to me and did like a leaping head butt to my chin as I was trying to put bags down...sniffed my hands and legs legs then had an attack of the zoomies around the house. He spent the rest of the night leaning up against me.. touching all the time and if I moved he started meowing and following me so close I kept tripping over him. Laid on my bed all night..think he was just watching because every time I moved or opened my eyes I got a little meow..really cute but I needed sleep..lol
This morning has been zoomies running around all fluffed up... noisy yelling...contact calling if he cant see me..biting my toes and bringing toys.
Think he missed me..lol
He just ate and slept and was very morose my sister said ..accepted a pat but nothing else so he wasn't happy while I was away but there was no aggression with her which was really good.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I recently got back from a 4-day trip and Lola has much more clingy.
I went away last month to dog sit for our daughter but DH stayed home with our cat. When I returned I picked him up and he purred non-stop. Then he followed me from room to room and wouldn't let me out of his sight. :catlove:

basilleaves

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older girl gets mad at us but in a clingy way. She follows us everywhere because she has to show us how upset she is. And then she snuggles with us at night. Angrily.

My little boy acts surprised, as though he truly believed that we were never coming home again, and purrs up a storm once he's sure we're back for good.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All three of mine come running when they hear us at the door, they meow and snake around our ankles. I don't know if they miss us, as much as they miss their special treats and snacks during the day. Especially my 'chicken monster' who gets a bite of deli chicken about 6 times a day!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got back from a week long trip. Lola was sleeping on my bed when I got home and when I came in the room she started purring and meowing and hasn't left my side since. :happycat:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli does the same thing his predecessor did - act indignant the first 2-3 hours after my/our return, then stick to me like glue for several days.