How Do You Trim Your Cat's Nails?

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat used to be really good about nail trimmings, but as he's gotten older, he's gotten less compliant. He'll hiss, try to bite, and fight.

I'm wondering what I can do to make it easier. I think part of it is that I get upset hearing him cry, so I'm not good at holding him down. My mom doesn't struggle with holding him down emotionally, but she must not have the right technique because his head still moves around.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing that might help if his nails have gotten thicker could be a pair of reptile claw clippers.

Try just touching a paw while he's asleep, for as long as you can, then gradually move to clipping one claw...eventually you should be able to clip all the claws although it may take a while.

You could try a kitty burrito with a towel, possibly.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, it takes a lot of desensitization. When I had Smokey, it took 9 months of putting a cone on her and wrapping her in a blanket for her to allow me to cut her nails... 9 months! She eventually got used to it and I didn't need the cone anymore of the blanket. But it took another 3 - 6 months for her to stop growling and biting when I tried to cut her nails. Maybe you can purchase a cat muzzle and use catnip to your advantage if your cat likes that kind of thing. Soft music and a calming voice too. But, for me, it took a lot of time and patience.

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have one person scruff your cat maybe? Sometimes if one of my cats gives me trouble I'll kneel on the floor behind them so he cant back up far and crouch over his front and clip them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have one person scruff your cat maybe? Sometimes if one of my cats gives me trouble I'll kneel on the floor behind them so he cant back up far and crouch over his front and clip them.
We tried scruffing him, but he was still flailing, unfortunately. I'm hoping to desensitize him.

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One thing that might help if his nails have gotten thicker could be a pair of reptile claw clippers.

Try just touching a paw while he's asleep, for as long as you can, then gradually move to clipping one claw...eventually you should be able to clip all the claws although it may take a while.

You could try a kitty burrito with a towel, possibly.
I'll give this a go! He's pretty desensitized to me touching his paws, honestly. I should be able to clip at least one per day.

I think he specifically has clipper anxiety.

wrenboii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I give my cats treat after every trim and it seems to work great as they don’t mind it at all.

Please don’t scruff the adult cat; he can get hurt.
Scruffing does seem to work for other people. Specifically, I saw a vet do it but I feel like without proper technique, it could be very dangerous. I also just hate seeing my cat struggle like that, reduced to ... well, an animal. So I likely won't try it again.

It's really my mom who wants a quick and easy way to trim his nails, but I'm willing to work on my bond with him.

Maybe a combination of desensitization and treats would be best.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just put up with some displeasure on the cat’s part. And I try not to cut too far back because nothing will make your cat hate the nail clipper more than your nicking the sensitive quick. But my guys never scratch or bite, they just want to get away. Sometimes I’ll do just a few nails at one time and come back to clip the rest later. I keep telling my tripod cat to look at the bright side: just one paw to trim (I don’t trim their back nails). :)

Cherry7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat used to be really good about nail trimmings, but as he's gotten older, he's gotten less compliant. He'll hiss, try to bite, and fight.

I'm wondering what I can do to make it easier. I think part of it is that I get upset hearing him cry, so I'm not good at holding him down. My mom doesn't struggle with holding him down emotionally, but she must not have the right technique because his head still moves around.
Hi, I have not done this yet but my daughter has many times and the cat usually justs sita there and doesn't give her any problems. I watched a great video on YouTube on how to do this,
I hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator: