How do you train kittens to meow when they have to go?

blackat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens. They stay the nights in the garage but stay the majority of the day inside. The litter box is in the garage and I really don't want to have two, so does anyone know how to train them to meow at the door, or even just meow in general, when they have to use the litter box?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats need access to the litter box 24/7. Why don't you move the box inside during the day?

By the way, right now it may look like one litter box is enough but as the kittens grow older, you will need another. Even a third. 

To answer your question about training them to tell you when they need to go, well, in my experience, cats do what they want to do. Maybe your kittens will take the hint and maybe not. The best solution is to make sure the litter box/boxes are accessible like leaving the door to the garage open?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blackat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once it's summer their going outside sadly but until then thanks! I'll follow your advise!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This really doesn't sound like the best plan. How old are they? Are they both vaccinated and fixed?

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an instance where you will probably find your kittens will end up training you, instead of the other way around. You can't train a cat to ask to use the bathroom, not really. They'll hold it for a little bit if they must, but without easy access to a box they will go anywhere. If you aren't prepared to have a litter box in your home perhaps you shouldn't be owning cats at all. Because if you don't want a box in the house, I can't imagine you're going to be happy to find poop all over your home. 

Kittens can use a single box, but when they get older, you will need to have a box for each of them, plus one extra, in your home. And kittens should definitely not be outside. 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely want them to be able to access the litter box all the time. The only thing I've ever had a kitten ask for is food because the adult cats ate their food. I've heard of training cats to use a toilet, but not training them to ask to use the litter. They are not dogs who will let you know it's time to go. 

Having a litter box is just part of the whole package. And to reiterate what others have said, you'll likely be needing more than one as they get older.

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone, cats need to access the littering box all the time.

You should put it inside so they won't have any accidents peeing your stuff and etc.

Cats lives more longer if they stay inside (IMO)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the garage even a safe place for the kittens? Many garages have lots of dangers for pets: lawn fertliziers and other chemicals, sharp tools, discarded broken junk that may fall on top of a curious pet, etc. If the garage is completely empty and not used for storage or for a car, it might not be a problem unless it's also unheated and unventilated.

Install a pet door so that the kittens can have access to the litter box and so they can go between the garage and house as they please. There are doors that work via a microchip that the cat wears on the collar and doors where you can control the access (in only, out only, free access, etc).
If you aren't prepared to have a litter box in your home perhaps you shouldn't be owning cats at all. Because if you don't want a box in the house, I can't imagine you're going to be happy to find poop all over your home. 
My rescue cat was given up by her original family because they did not want a litter box in the house. They wanted the cat to be outdoors only. When the cat wouldn't stay outside and started peeing and pooping in the house, they dumped her at the shelter. I'm not sure how old she was when she was dumped but I got her at 6 months old so still young. She uses a litter box just fine and she's happy being an indoors only cat.

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't want to sound rude, but I have no idea why anyone would want kittens if they are unprepared for giving them what they need. Kittens are not dogs in smaller bodies. It is difficult, if not impossible to train them to go on command as dogs will. They may need to pee/poop every two hours or more and they need constant access to litter boxes or they risk being ill. I can't imagine a garage being a safe places for young cats or even older ones. We have indoor cats and also have barn cats. Our barn cats usually just show up and most are at least somewhat feral. Nonetheless, we provide them with safe, warm shelter, food and make great effort to catch them, vaccinate and spay/neuter. When kittens arrive (not often, thankfully!) we then do what we can to provide them and the mother cat with appropriate shelter either in the barn or in the house. All of this takes a lot of work and effort, but it is our responsibility. In most areas, outdoor cats don't last very long. Around here we have coyotes, bob-cat, fishers and other predators that threaten cats and then there are the cars and farm equipment. I often wish we could make all the cats indoor cats, but - as I said - most of the barn cats are at least semi-feral. But my three house cats never go out because of the threats. Keep in mind that kittens rarely have much ability to protect themselves until at least 6-12 months of age. Yes, they can be pesky and get into things and teaching them to use a litter box takes time. But you chose to take the two kittens and now you have the responsibility to provide for them. This means letting them have access to the litter box at all times. It also means keeping them in a safe place and if you live in a cold climate, keeping them warm in the winter.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
blackat, we are not trying to be mean at all, but everyone here passionately cares about cats.  You must want them, or why have them?  That said, please listen to the advice here so that you can love and enjoy your pets for years to come.  They should be inside, for their own safety.  There are lots of kinds of litterboxes, and lots of types of litter.  I'm sure you can find the right box and litter to cause the least disruption to your home.  It just takes a little exploring.  Meanwhile, your kittens would love to be inside at night, out of the cold and dark.  Give them a chance, and they will become truly part of your family.

gangsta chanca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made the mistake of only have one litter box, when i needed more. My cats arent that bad, but when they have to go and cant get to the litter box, which they now have full access too, they either meow or go somehwre on the floor. I don't know if you can even train a cat to meow. It is more of a thing they may or may not do. Along with everyone else, they need complete, all day, access to the litterbox(s), and one will not be enough for two cats, even if they are kittens.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I have to agree with all the comments above. If you are going to be a cat owner, you really need to have a litterbox for your cat to freely access all day. Keeping one in the garage where they don't have access to it all the time is not only cruel but unnecessary. There are lots of different types of litter and boxes available that can be low profile and fit somewhere in your home where they will be able to freely use them when they need to. Most behavioral problems with kittens are due to not having enough litter boxes or the kitten feeling stress about using the litterbox or the environment being stressful as a whole. This kind of situation is not good for any kitten as it requires them to "hold it" when they need to go and be entirely dependent on you to give them access to the litterbox. It also makes it very likely that they will go elsewhere, and no one wants their kitten peeing or pooping on the floor. No kitten should have to do this. Nothing makes me sadder then thinking about  all the kittens who are abandoned by  their owners because of these "problems" which are very very fixable and preventable.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blackat, I hope you are still here.  I know it felt like you were being ganged up on, but it's just that so many of us...well, all of us...are so passionate about proper care for cats.  You obviously want the kittens, and obviously don't have much experience with them.  You can learn a lot here, and I'd really hate to think that we inadvertently chased you away.