How do you tell if a cat is deaf?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it may sound odd, but how do you tell? I'm starting to think granet is deaf. When it is food time and I poor it into the bowls all the other kitties come running. I close the door so i can get dinner started and then with out fail about 10-15 minutes later granet will come up to me with this little baby meow and then follows me to the room and goes in to eat.
When I snap my fingers he doesnt look at them and if I make a kissey sound he doesn't look at me. I don't know if he is just a weird kitty or if he can't hear.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have always heard that if a cat likes to play with the vacuum cleaner, than that is a surefire way of finding out that the cat is deaf. They are attracted to the vibration, but cannot hear the roar it makes.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that I also suspected was deaf. I used to be able to pick up his tail and vaccuum underneath him as he slept. I would snap my fingers, clap hands, call his name, and otherwise make noise with typically no response from him.

What finally got his attention was a new noise - keys jingling over his head. Keep trying different noises. Mine was just a stubborn boy.

clemmie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a truck driver who travels with a Cat, I have a real simple test.

The Air-Dryer pressure relief valve on a large truck, which makes a quite loud Pop & Hiss each time the truck's air system hits peak pressure - which is every minute or two when the truck is running.

After over four years of travelling with me, Pounce still "heads for the hills" whenever this loud device happens to go off on an adjacent truck while our door is open. (She has, thankfully, grown used to this on our own truck, muffled when we're inside - but will jump even at ours if the door is open when it goes off).

So, as a test, I'll suggest carrying the cat by a row of idling trucks. You'll probably jump yourself when one of these goes off. If the cat doesn't jump, then he's deaf without a doubt.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
I have always heard that if a cat likes to play with the vacuum cleaner, than that is a surefire way of finding out that the cat is deaf. They are attracted to the vibration, but cannot hear the roar it makes.
Kahu sees Peedoodle run away from the vacuum and he runs. He will stay in the room while I am vacuuming until he sees Peedoodle run. Funny.

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well there is this one method that I've used on my new kitten. He's white and with blue eyes but luckily he's not deaf.

Click your fingernails in each ear. If Granet responds, then he's not deaf. You have to make sure that he can't see your hands. This is simply a preliminary test that you can do but only a vet can confirm deafness.

Other signs of deafness include kitty being aloof, not responding when called. Some kitties are rather defensive and will swat at you rather than ask questions. On the other hand they can be clingy to their owners. Is Garnet easily startled when approached from the behind and petted?

Does Garnet meow loudly? Some deaf cats meow louder than other cats just like humans tend to talk louder when losing hearing. While other cats become mute.

If Garnet is deaf, it is best to keep him indoors or in a cat enclosure, rather than let him wander.