How do you store your cat's food?

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep Minish's short term food (glass jars from kibble pack and a few wet cans) handy in the in the kitchen cabinet where she tries to enter all too often. The rest is in a huge plastic box in the darkest and coolest room with lid she can't penetrate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if something like this would work to stack cans. I found some other options but the height was a little too tall for where I need to put it.
20210320_234029.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I got most of my new food yesterday, it was time to figure out how I was going to store it. I ended up using the bottom shelf of our pantry and keeping the cans in their cardboard containers.

I set it up by day so I can keep track. Also some random brands that didn't get finished up yet.
20210328_123652.jpg

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neither of my cats try to break open food so I leave the cans and treats in a shelf built into my litter enclosure. The space is just enough to house 3 stack 5.5oz cans or 1 tall can! I've stored 60 5.5oz cans on there but can probably store more.

For the kibble I bought a big, fat opening glass jar from ikea that has an air tight lid. I read plastic storage bins or the bags it comes with can be bad storage options and cause the fat to go rancid so glass is a safer option. I keep that jar inside a bin that holds other cat food supplements so it's hidden from sunlight.

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see this is older but it may help someone else to know that 16# of dry fits well in a 5 gallon bucket with a scoop inside. The lid has a gasket for the seal. We keep wet food cans in a plastic milk crate.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bottom shelf of the pantry seems to be working well. I have each day's food stacked on top of each other in a row. Just have to remember what day it is so I pick the right one.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still loving the food set up and feeding one flavor per day each week has totally eliminated the picky eater syndrome. I swap out new flavors each order so they don't get too bored with the same flavors. They do have their favorites so those stay but there are others that they eat but aren't favorites. Those are the ones that get swapped.

Since I buy 14 flavors, I make sure to get 7 in cans and 7 in pouches so they fit nicely on the shelf. The few at the far end are leftovers from what I currently had been feeding and I will use those for snacks when needed.

20210821_134750.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still loving the food set up and feeding one flavor per day each week has totally eliminated the picky eater syndrome. I swap out new flavors each order so they don't get too bored with the same flavors. They do have their favorites so those stay but there are others that they eat but aren't favorites. Those are the ones that get swapped.

Since I buy 14 flavors, I make sure to get 7 in cans and 7 in pouches so they fit nicely on the shelf. The few at the far end are leftovers from what I currently had been feeding and I will use those for snacks when needed.

View attachment 392633
Not sure why yesterday was any different but husband opened up the pantry and was inquiring about the cat food store that is currently on the bottom shelf. :lol:

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have both dry and canned in my kitchen cabinet and opened canned in fridge

DB89014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep mine tucked away under a piece of furniture. I used the little cardboard trays the cat food comes in and covered it with contact paper so it looks nicer. I stuck those little felt dots on the bottom so it doesn't scratch the floor and then I just slide them out like its a drawer.

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw this yesterday at Petco when I was buying a Vittles Vault for dry food. If anyone needs a space saving idea for their canned cat food. Comes in a 3oz set and a 5oz set. Wished I had seen this when I was looking for storage options. Now I buy a 32 can box of wet food and just tear off the top to access the food.

41HEFIxItAL._AC_.jpg
41wG74iOVKL._AC_.jpg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw this yesterday at Petco when I was buying a Vittles Vault for dry food. If anyone needs a space saving idea for their canned cat food. Comes in a 3oz set and a 5oz set. Wished I had seen this when I was looking for storage options. Now I buy a 32 can box of wet food and just tear off the top to access the food.

View attachment 454774View attachment 454775
I wonder how strong those are. They look a bit flimsy in the picture.

Probably doesnt work on odd sized cans either like the wuvra ones.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I absolutely am loving seeing other people's cat food stashes! Hah! I do like the idea of turning the cans on their side in your situation, but I also think it isn't as practical because you can't fit as many in there? What if you just used a label maker to label each row?

Here's the cabinet we have in the kitchen. We have 3 cats (2 elderly with various health issues, and a 1 year old) and 1 dog. The pouches in the blue-ish containers are all liquid treats for after pills, not technically food-food.
1689711673929.png

And I have a separate closet in the guest bedroom where I keep my over flow stock. Two of our cats only eat wet food and are picky. With the cost of everything going up, I've been frequently checking for sales on foods they eat, so I just stock up when the price is right. I feel like an insane person, but here we are. This food fills about 1/3rd of the closet space. Here's the closet:
1689711863248.png

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

View attachment 454774View attachment 454775
I like the idea of these, but I feel like these just take up extra space and don't actually save any space at all. I think they would be helpful if you just needed a way to carry this many at a time, but they don't seem practical to me or am I missing something completely?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of these, but I feel like these just take up extra space and don't actually save any space at all. I think they would be helpful if you just needed a way to carry this many at a time, but they don't seem practical to me or am I missing something completely?
I suppose the advantage would be storing them verticaly rather than horozontaly. You could just slide it between the fridge or stove.

Many cans come in a plastic coverd tray and once you take the plastc off must be stored horozontaly due to gravity.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I suppose the advantage would be storing them verticaly rather than horozontaly. You could just slide it between the fridge or stove.
That makes sense. I guess it just depends on what kind of area you have available to store everything.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That makes sense. I guess it just depends on what kind of area you have available to store everything.
Wow! That looks fantastic! For only 3 cats and a dog!,, LOL. I have 11 cats and I can’t compete with your stash….
great job of organizing. 👍👍

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! That looks fantastic! For only 3 cats and a dog!,, LOL. I have 11 cats and I can’t compete with your stash….
great job of organizing. 👍👍
Haha, thanks! I got a GREAT deal on those Tiny Tasters recently, just a little under $4 per case (normally $15-17)! So, I went a little overboard stocking up on those. :D Needless to say, I will not need to buy any for a LONG time!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks! I got a GREAT deal on those Tiny Tasters recently, just a little under $4 per case (normally $15-17)! So, I went a little overboard stocking up on those. :D Needless to say, I will not need to buy any for a LONG time!
I don’t blame you for stocking up when there’s a good price…prices of everything is getting ridiculous and out of hand..it upsets me because I know these big businesses are still able to make big profits..