How do you store your cat's food?

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am trying to find a better solution on a way to store cat food than what I'm currently doing. Right now, the bag of dry food is on the floor in the pantry. There are plenty of storage options for that so I'll find something but what about cans of cat food? I thought they had things like you can buy for cans of sodas that just dispense one can at a time but I literally can't find them online anywhere! Right now, I have all the cans lined up on a pull out shelf in a cabinet. Since I am going to try a more regimented meal plan ( Can A on Mondays, Can B on Tuesdays, etc), I would like to maybe group cans in some sort of order to keep myself on track. Or maybe stack each day's AM and PM cans together. Not really sure. I guess it depends on what I find to use as storage solutions.

How do you store your cans of wet food?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought they had things like you can buy for cans of sodas that just dispense one can at a time but I literally can't find them online anywhere!

There are such things but it looks like the 3 oz can holders are sold out pretty much everywhere. The 5 oz and larger sized holders are easier to find.

Iris Cat Food Can Dispensers
https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Wire-Pet-Food-Dispensers/dp/B00186RTXQ?th=1

Such dispensers seem to take up more space than a stack of cans.

How do you store your cans of wet food?
I just have cans stacked in a cabinet. I only feed canned as a snack so I don't keep many cans on hand. For those who feed only canned and buy in bulk, a dedicated cabinet or other storage place would work. How about a large rolling utility cart? The Ikea one is popular but you can find similar ones nearly everywhere now. I know Target sells a larger sized cart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are such things but it looks like the 3 oz can holders are sold out pretty much everywhere. The 5 oz and larger sized holders are easier to find.

Iris Cat Food Can Dispensers
https://www.amazon.com/IRIS-Wire-Pet-Food-Dispensers/dp/B00186RTXQ?th=1

Such dispensers seem to take up more space than a stack of cans.

I just have cans stacked in a cabinet. I only feed canned as a snack so I don't keep many cans on hand. For those who feed only canned and buy in bulk, a dedicated cabinet or other storage place would work. How about a large rolling utility cart? The Ikea one is popular but you can find similar ones nearly everywhere now. I know Target sells a larger sized cart.

Yes, those things do look rather bulky than I thought they would be. And you are right about it taking up more room than stacked cans. I would like to keep them hidden away so a cart wouldn't really work. Maybe I will just rearrange stuff on the bottom shelf of my pantry and just stack cans there. More room than the cabinet shelf I'm currently using. Since I am trying to feed one brand variety per day twice a day, that basically means storing 14 cans per week and hoping it lasting for 6 weeks so... a lot of cans/pouches.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it isn't what you are looking for but, I have a small cabinet right above the cats feeding area with their wet food, treats and food bowls (missing in this photo because they are eating). Their dry food is in an air tight storage container in another cabinet.

Screenshot_20210319-044716_Photos.jpg

For you, I'd just rearrange the shelf. It doesn't sound like you are storing a huge amount and any other options will likely take up more room. I would recommend an air tight container that can hold your dry. You can get any airtight container, but I like something that can hold a whole bag at a time. I also like to have at least one unopened bag as a backup at all times as an emergency grab bag if needed.

If you are looking for a larger set up, I have two sets of these IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container & Scoop Combo, Navy/Gray - Chewy.com
One large one holds the backup cat food. One smaller one the rabbits dry food, the large one for hay and bedding, and the second small one for rabbit treats/supplies. For you, you could put the dry in the larger container and wet in the smaller container. But I really do think for the amount of cans you are talking just stacking them on a shelf would be best.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it isn't what you are looking for but, I have a small cabinet right above the cats feeding area with their wet food, treats and food bowls (missing in this photo because they are eating). Their dry food is in an air tight storage container in another cabinet.

View attachment 373895

For you, I'd just rearrange the shelf. It doesn't sound like you are storing a huge amount and any other options will likely take up more room. I would recommend an air tight container that can hold your dry. You can get any airtight container, but I like something that can hold a whole bag at a time. I also like to have at least one unopened bag as a backup at all times as an emergency grab bag if needed.

If you are looking for a larger set up, I have two sets of these IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container & Scoop Combo, Navy/Gray - Chewy.com
One large one holds the backup cat food. One smaller one the rabbits dry food, the large one for hay and bedding, and the second small one for rabbit treats/supplies. For you, you could put the dry in the larger container and wet in the smaller container. But I really do think for the amount of cans you are talking just stacking them on a shelf would be best.
I do really like your set up. Really cool looking. I might try keeping the cans in their packaging in hopes it will take up less room. I might be able to stack them higher without fear of sliding out the drawer and cans going everywhere inside the cabinet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am finding some more sleeker solutions but of course... sold out. :ohwell: Why are pet food dispensers such a hot commodity right now??
People who have hoarded canned goods at the start of the pandemic may now be buying up bins and such to organize all the food they haven't eaten yet.

Look at kitchen pantry / fridge / freezer / cabinet bins instead of pet specific ones. Here are some suggestions:

https://www.amazon.com/linus-bins/s?k=linus+bins

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who have hoarded canned goods at the start of the pandemic may now be buying up bins and such to organize all the food they haven't eaten yet.

Look at kitchen pantry / fridge / freezer / cabinet bins instead of pet specific ones. Here are some suggestions:

https://www.amazon.com/linus-bins/s?k=linus+bins
[/URL]
[/URL]
Yep, I thought about those as a possibility too. Just easier with pet specific ones to know how many cans each can hold so I'd have an idea of how many to get. I might just move the cans to a shelf in our pantry instead of the pull out shelf in a cabinet. It will hold more and I won't have to worry about spilling cans. Also Gracie has a habit of climbing into the cabinet and me not knowing it until I see Boone standing at the cabinet looking at it. The door on the pantry doesn't close tightly so she can always push on the door to open should she investigate as she does whenever the door is open and get shut in there.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re just looking for a way to keep yourself honest and on schedule with your feeding regime, I suggest labeling the cans with colored stickers and placing an additional sticker on the inside of the pantry door. Write the day they get that flavor on the door sticker. Then each meal, you simply have to find today’s color on your door legend and grab a can with a matching sticker.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you’re just looking for a way to keep yourself honest and on schedule with your feeding regime, I suggest labeling the cans with colored stickers and placing an additional sticker on the inside of the pantry door. Write the day they get that flavor on the door sticker. Then each meal, you simply have to find today’s color on your door legend and grab a can with a matching sticker.
I love that idea!! Thank you so much!! That is exactly why I was trying to figure out a way to keep it semi-organized.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the current set up for reference. Was hoping to find a way to group the food together in a more efficient way. That is why I was looking for some sort of container. Put all the Monday food in one. Tuesdays in another. Etc. I still might look for something like what I posted earlier and then use daftcat75 daftcat75 idea of putting stickers on each.
20210319_160608.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Why not just lay the cans on their sides to see the flavors? A simple divider between rows would keep them from rolling around although a non-stick mat might work.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not just lay the cans on their sides to see the flavors? A simple divider between rows would keep them from rolling around although a non-stick mat might work.
I would group those stacks by day and reinforce the grouping with stickers on the top of the cans.
I will try both your ideas tomorrow. I am not going to start the feeding regime until next month when I order only Weruva but maybe I can do it a little bit with what I have now.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a metal baker's rack that's in the kitchen for canned food. The bag of dry food is on top of the fridge.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a metal baker's rack that's in the kitchen for canned food. The bag of dry food is on top of the fridge.
I had to look up what that was. :lol: I prefer the food to be hidden rather than seen so either in a cabinet or pantry is a must.

I tried Kieka Kieka idea about turning them on their sides. Works well for the 3oz cans but the pull out didn't have enough room to do that with the 5oz cans as well. The shelf in the pantry won't work either as it would have to be the bottom shelf and that is mostly blocked by the trash can.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I meant to add this last night but turning the cans on their sides proved to me that I needed a more structured feeding schedule. When I lined up the cans, it became obvious that I tended to grab certain ones over others. I would have 10 cans of one and 2 of something else and 6 of another.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep the dry food in a cereal dispenser like this because my house gets ants sometimes. Ants and mice can't get into the bags and it pours out into the measuring cup.

I have a tall one that holds the big bags and a short one that I use to pour the food. It lives in my locking cupboard so the cats can't reach it.

I just store the cans on a shelf under my microwave cart.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Willow mostly has CRAVE wet food which comes in these packs. I have more on store than usual because there have been shortages so I just did a big Chewy order. I rotate three different flavors for her.

0D83DF8C-34EF-4FC2-802A-69C906297B65.jpeg