How do you store vetsulin for trips? Does this work well?

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats are traveling with me a few hours away next week!
I didn't know something like this exists and I hope it works well. Original plan was using a small styrofoam cooler and some icepacks but I'm afraid it'll be too cold for the insulin or the fall out of the cooler.

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any insulin travel case will work :) You may want to put the case into a small cooler with ice packs to keep the insulin cool. As long as the insulin doesn't go above room temperature or freeze, it'll be fine.

From Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Diabetes | Vetsulin:

Vetsulin should be stored upright, protected from light, between 2°C and 8°C (35°F and 46°F).

IMO, if you accidentally leave the bottle out overnight at room temperature (it happens), it's still fine to use.

You may want to also ask on the FelineDiabetes.com board for other travel tips.

Human diabetics have lots of travel supplies and accessories that you can use :) Check out the local pharmacy or any diabetic supply web site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey therr0789

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any insulin travel case will work :) You may want to put the case into a small cooler with ice packs to keep the insulin cool. As long as the insulin doesn't go above room temperature or freeze, it'll be fine.

From Frequently Asked Questions about Dog Diabetes | Vetsulin:

Vetsulin should be stored upright, protected from light, between 2°C and 8°C (35°F and 46°F).

IMO, if you accidentally leave the bottle out overnight at room temperature (it happens), it's still fine to use.

You may want to also ask on the FelineDiabetes.com board for other travel tips.

Human diabetics have lots of travel supplies and accessories that you can use :) Check out the local pharmacy or any diabetic supply web site.
The travel cases the bottles aren't in there upright. Hopefully still works

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The travel cases the bottles aren't in there upright. Hopefully still works
It'll be fine :) The bottle has a rubber stopper which prevents leaks. You can also place the carry case on it's side so the bottle will be upright. Wedge the carry case in a small sturdy box if you worry about it maybe tipping over during travel.