How Do You Sleep?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband needs a fan for white noise to sleep, so I had to get used to that. But I can't stand a breeze on me so we use an air purifier. It makes the noise but the air flow is upwards, so I don't feel it.
I also have to fall asleep to the TV on. Once I'm drifting off I can turn it off and fall asleep but my brain needs the distraction so it can shut down.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nice noisy fan, all year 'round. If it's too cold in the winter I turn it to the wall, but I still need the noise. Although I also prefer the air circulation around my face. I travel with a small fan to keep up the status quo when away from home. If I forget I'll download a white noise app on my phone, but a fan is much better. No lights. . .I even went around with electrical tape and covered all those tiny LED lights that are on everything, lol.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t sleep. Not enough anyway. Krista is on a 4 hour feed schedule with a two hour stomach. I’m working on both. She has portions to grow and weight to regain after a rough start to this year. We “sleep” from 10 pm to 10 am, but that’s trying to get back to sleep. Getting a hour or two of sleep. And then being woken by bonkers butt who wants to be fed twice as often as I want to feed her. I moved the bed to the front room to make the distance to the kitchen shorter. I fall asleep to the TV because it helps me get back to sleep or go back to sleep when Krista wants me to get up and feed her. I’m trying to teach her the schedule by lights that fade on like an artificial sunrise. But Krista’s clock runs faster. :(

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
D. My TV in the living room is on at night. It shuts itself off, but I usually wake up and have to turn it back on so that I can go back to sleep. My C-PTSD makes me terrified of silence (that includes white noise) but I cannot have the sound in my bedroom because I get stressed that I might not hear someone coming into the house. I set the volume just loud enough so that I can barely make out the dialogue. Also, only certain channels can be on because I am a weirdo.

During the summer we have the AC and a fan. My husband gets hot easily. I wrap myself in my blankets.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an issue with pitch darkness as I cannot seem to breathe, so I need a light (even dim) to make me sleep. Even if I am already asleep and somebody accidentally turns off the light I wake up on cue and in panic mode.

I also need the light to help me navigate and not step on any of my cats or dogs when I go to the restroom.

And I also need the air conditioner. Strange, but I still have it on even in the colder months. My husband complains about it, but he has got no choice. :)

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nice noisy fan, all year 'round. If it's too cold in the winter I turn it to the wall, but I still need the noise. Although I also prefer the air circulation around my face. I travel with a small fan to keep up the status quo when away from home. If I forget I'll download a white noise app on my phone, but a fan is much better. No lights. . .I even went around with electrical tape and covered all those tiny LED lights that are on everything, lol.
Exactly the same with me, gotta have that fan running for the soothing noise and moving air. I also have a white noise machine called Sleep Sound which is great. I have partial-light blocking shades and curtains over them in my bedroom.

We would be good roommates!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have tinnitus, so I don't know what the word "quiet" means anymore. We usually fall asleep with the tv on and then I wake up around 2:00 or so and turn it off. I've started to try to turn the tv off right before I fall asleep. No fan, unless it's terribly hot and humid. As far as any kind of light, we don't have curtains in the bedroom windows, so we get enough light from the moon. We do have a night light in the bathroom, but we keep the bathroom door shut all the time, so the light doesn't matter.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Usually nothing. I do have a Dyson fan (bladeless for better safety for little cat feet) when it gets hot in the summer, but I have it on the lowest level. I had to use a white noise app for awhile when the people behind us would sit on their patio and talk loudly from 10 pm to 2 pm. At least they didn’t play music! And fortunately, they moved. I use the app when I travel overnight, too, to mask noise. I love the rain sound!

TJW80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My answer is A. We keep a fan going year round even when the AC is on. My wife and I are both get hot easily and we always have at least one cat in the bed with us but it’s usually more like 2 or 3. Having them up against our legs or sides causes us to be a little on the warm side.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We keep a ceiling fan on in the summer but it's pretty quiet. I used to use a small "soft glow" night light when the kids were small and I was up and down all night. DH prefers it as dark as possible so he even unplugged his clock; which used to face the wall.

Several years ago he installed a switch in our bathroom that has a timer on it for the fan. It has a tiny built in light. But in the dark when our eyes are adjusted that light is enough to find the bathroom and handle business. :thumbsup: I can also see light under our bedroom door from the soft glow night light we keep in the hall and the hall bathroom night light for the kids. The kids don't turn on the bathroom light when they get up at night either.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , I bought a headlamp at the grocery store that has an IR setting. Back when I wasn’t on overnight cat feedings, I would use the IR to navigate the dark home. Now the TV is always on at night and I have motion sensor lights that have daytime and nighttime settings for kitchen and bathroom.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , I bought a headlamp at the grocery store that has an IR setting. Back when I wasn’t on overnight cat feedings, I would use the IR to navigate the dark home. Now the TV is always on at night and I have motion sensor lights that have daytime and nighttime settings for kitchen and bathroom.
DH has an assortment of head lamps. I should use one for that. :lol2: Normally if I need a little more light I just use my cell phone (not the flashlight; just the screen) or even my kindle. DH seems so much more sensitive to light than I am. We suspect it's a skin thing. He's a redhead and I've got or of an olive complexion.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH has an assortment of head lamps. I should use one for that. :lol2: Normally if I need a little more light I just use my cell phone (not the flashlight; just the screen) or even my kindle. DH seems so much more sensitive to light than I am. We suspect it's a skin thing. He's a redhead and I've got or of an olive complexion.
Oops! I meant the headlamp has a red light setting, not infrared. The red light doesn’t wreck your night vision. Recommended by astronomers and campers. It’ll probably be easier on your spouse and any fur kids.

It’s more red and less white in real life. Phone is picking up extra shine.
image.jpg