How do you sanitize cat food cans after one of them broke open during shipment?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The order of individual cans we received yesterday was a little worse for wear, but I think most of the cans are still usable. Thankfully, the dents don't appear to be too bad, and with the exception of one can, the seams appear to be intact. But I'll do a bubble test on them to make sure.

Unfortunately, one of the cans of pate broke open and made a huge mess! So I washed all of the other cans with soap and water as soon as possible. However, since they were covered in food that probably got spoiled during shipment (it's hot as heck here in our little nook of Texas), we're a bit nervous about feeding any of them to our immuno-compromised cat until we're satisfied the outside of the cans are as germ-free as possible.

Any ideas?

I have contacted the company to let them know what happened. But since it's the weekend and it may be a while before I hear from them, I want to go ahead and get started trying to get everything properly sanitized. :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you washed the cans well in soapy water, you should be fine. But if you want to take it up a notch, you could make a bleach and water solution and wipe the cans with it, then rinse really well, or follow up with re-washing in soapy water.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you washed the cans well in soapy water, you should be fine. But if you want to take it up a notch, you could make a bleach and water solution and wipe the cans with it, then rinse really well, or follow up with re-washing in soapy water.
Awesome! Thanks much! *hugs you tight*

Thankfully, we just stocked up on a bunch of stuff in case we have another lockdown, so we have plenty of bleach and water on hand this time. :)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a 10-1 water-bleach solution should work, or if you're concerned about using bleach then rubbing alcohol would do.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a 10-1 water-bleach solution should work, or if you're concerned about using bleach then rubbing alcohol would do.
Purr-fect! Just got all of the cans cleaned up, and now I feel so much better about feeding these foods to Buddy. Thanks oodles!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy baby, your mama is a ROCKIN' individual 🐾👍💞
The funny thing is that for all my trouble, Buddy only liked one flavor out of all of the individual cans that I bought for him to try out. Of course, it was the most expensive option. :crackup: