How Do You Portion Radcat (or Other Commerical Raw?)

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What strategy does everyone use to create portions from a radcat container, or other commercial raw foods? What do you store the portions in? Thinking about adding some radcat into my cat's diet and curious about feeding strategies.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 6 oz freezer safe canning jars. I let Rad Cat thaw to the point that it is just frosty but, I can get a spoon into it. then I put it in the jars and freeze them. When I feed I use a little scale and dish out 2 oz per cat.Sometimes I have used zip lock freezer bags. The cats love RadCat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 oz freezer safe canning jars. I let Rad Cat thaw to the point that it is just frosty but, I can get a spoon into it. then I put it in the jars and freeze them. When I feed I use a little scale and dish out 2 oz per cat.Sometimes I have used zip lock freezer bags. The cats love RadCat.
How long would you say it usually takes the food to defrost to the point that it is frosty and you can portion it?

Also wondering if anyone feeds wet canned food along with radcat?

Edit: I also notice that radcat suggests warming the food before serving. Any suggestions for the best way to do this?

Last edited:

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There has been discussion on how members store raw food:

How do you pack and store your raw food?

To warm cold raw food, you can stick the container in lukewarm water for a few minutes or microwave the container for a couple seconds.
Yeah I saw that before when I used the search function but just thought some new members might share other ideas.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How long would you say it usually takes the food to defrost to the point that it is frosty and you can portion it?

Also wondering if anyone feeds wet canned food along with radcat?

Edit: I also notice that radcat suggests warming the food before serving. Any suggestions for the best way to do this?
I would say that I usually portion it after it has been in my fridge for about 8 hours. To warm it before serving i spoon some into another canning jar and fill a large Tupperware container with warm tap water . I put the jar containing the Rad Cat into that container and leave it in there fore about 15/20 minutes , stir and then serve.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats eat food straight out of the fridge, unless I've taken a new tub out and it's still a little frosty when I want to serve it. I plate the meal on a saucer and set the saucer over a saucepan with 1/2 inch of hot water (off the burner). Covered with the saucepan lid, the steam warms the plate and finishes the defrosting in about 5 minutes.

mannie3moon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty and I love RadCat. I thaw the tub, and then portion it out into small Pyrex bowls. Each bowl holds about 3 servings, and thaws in the fridge in 12-24 hours. For Primal Pronto, I thaw some in the fridge for about an hour or so, and serve. Sometimes I warm her RadCat in a lukewarm waterbath, but it appears she has no significant preference.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As soon as I get it from my local pet store, I put it in the fridge to thaw for about two hours before scooping it into this mini containers. My cat doesn't have a preference on the temperature of his food, so I thaw his food for the next day overnight and serve it in small meals. Usually it's one container a day. But if I don't do that/have extra time, I boil some water, wrap the container in aluminum foil, and place it in the boiled water for five minutes. For Small Batch, it's much easier as I get the slider version and the feeding guidelines states how many to give. I normally give him three because he gets some canned food too. For that I put 3 in a small container or a small ziplock bag. Like Rad Cat, I thaw it over night. For both raw food, I add a small amount of water because I've never seen him drink at all.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up purchasing these glass baby containers on sale at a store near me:
I'm planning on doing 3 oz feedings so the 4 oz size seemed perfect. They even have a little measuring scale on the side. :)

I really really hope the rad cat solves my kitten's soft poop/diarrhea problems.