How do you play with older cats when you get a new kitten

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 older cats, Minnie 8 and Sunshine 6, I recently took in a kitten who is apx 6 months old now. She has been in our home since AUG. My cats still do not lover her & I feel a lot of their anger towards her is b/c every time I try to play w/  one of them, she takes over. I play w/ her constantly, she is a very active kitten, but even when she is sleeping, which she doesn't sleep very much, she will jump up as soon as she hears me playing w/ one of my other cats. I feel bad for them b/c they want to play too. Before the kitten came into our home, i played with them all the time. Does anyone have any advise?

terianne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could buy one of those little battery operated toys that roll and jump or several to keep them occupied while you play with the little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a lot cat toys. Even bought 2 of those Cats Meow toys. It doesn't matter, she can be playing w/ a toy but once I start giving one of my other cats attention, she wants in. She desperately wants them to play with her, but they just wont. Im praying in time, they will...

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lock the kitten in another room while you play with the older cats. The kitten may not like it, but she'll benefit from happier older cats because it'll mean her getting into less conflict with them.

Alternately, if there's a perch the older cats can get to and the kitten can't, play with the older cats there. For example, my Lilly is not able to get on the laundry table, which is Katrina's favorite sleeping spot. So even if Lilly is batting at my heels begging for attention, she can't get up and bother Katrina. (At 15, Katrina is a lot less playful, however. What she usually wants from me is petting.)