How do you name your cats?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I've only named Lelia. She's a style 4 (my betta fish in college was Loki, so there's a two pet theme).

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the above. Ours were named for their personalities or behavioral quirks; e.g. Burdock, the clinger, or Digger, Stretch, and Bashful; or Prancer. The only one with a 'regular' name is Miss Eleanor, and we didn't name her. .

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you can say group 1... Artie kept his original name; he was 8 years old when I adopted him..
Geoffrey is another matter. His original name was Goofy. I could not keep it. I had to change it.
The previous owner asked if, when adopted, he could keep his name. I could not call a sweet kitty, Goofy.. I had to rename him. I just chose a human name.. from a baby book. I did keep the "G",
to honor the wishes of his previous owner....

allmykitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know.
Circe (name previously given ... kept it--she was 6.5 years old when I adopted her)
Autumn (what else would you name a calico found in September?)
Domino (because he's black and white)
TV (because she's black and white)
Cosette - literature ... she was found as a poor, starving, sick waif of a cat at 10 months outside my house one freezing February night; she has grown into a beautiful lady cat
Jemmy - short form for Jemmy-any-dots, a masculinization of Jenny-any-dots from Cats due to the coat being of the "tabby kind with tiger stripes and leopard spots"
Leo - it just seemed right for my little orange fellow
(Jemmy and Leo were both named when they were outdoor cats before I thought about keeping them)

Appearance seems to be the main driving factor.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Personality and color first, but definitely 8 and 9 play a role ie: Callisto and Captain Jack

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the above. I usually just keep the shelter name, and on the occasion I keep one that I trapped myself I give them a name that fits.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been style 2 with Toffee and Fudge so far - they're the first cats I've had. I have a soft spot for food names.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of mine is a style 4 after a fashion (Sir Eats-A-Lot); the others don't fit the categories very well. Meep was named that because that's the noise she made when she was little. Chesterfield was an extension of the name they gave him at the shelter (his original name was just Chester).

DownTheLane

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went with 4, one a biblical reference and one an ancient Greek myth (although that could be classified as 6 as well I guess) in the end, both of the names really seemed to fit them, and I prefer them over the shelter names they had.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Not really any of the above - I used to choose names from a specific country but more recently it's a combination of looks and personality.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If given a chance to name I consider naming after gods, but it has to fit. This new kitten is Billy Ghost. I had no chance. Both were references made the nigh we got him to some cartoon and said he was pale like a ghost.

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat is Meffy, short for Mephistopheles. She was quite a rascal at 6 weeks old. Second cat is Meimey, which means “little sister” in Chinese.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I refuse to use "typical cat" names for my cats, they will always have a "human" name, so I guess 1. I generally choose the names for my cats based on names I love but probably don't love enough to name a child. Of course, the issue then becomes when I name a cat one of these names, I love the name even more that I start to wish that I had saved it for a baby. Remy was named after the rat in Ratatouille and my dog was named after a character from the movie Trolls, so half of my animals are named after movies.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise

Most of my pets (dogs and cats) are named from a beverage or food.

angel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cat's name was Angel used that name as my dad had a cat named angel and like the name

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*None of the above* for the most part. I've found that most cats eventually let their names be known (kind of like T.S. Eliot's poem insinuates) and usually it has to do with attributes, whether personal or physical. But there have been over 60 cats in my life so far, so it kind of runs the gamut. Baby Su was named after the wife of a public figure because he passed on at the time she found us, and it was a globally important event. It has nothing to do with liking or not liking them. Elvis was adopted at age 9 from someone who had named him that. He asked if I was going to change his name, to which I responded, "His name is Elvis!"
IMG_1975.JPG
IMG_1989.JPG