How do you know the right time to euthanize your terminally ill cat 😢

Sgilyard21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 12 yo kitty girl was recently diagnosed with an intestinal mass tumor and another forming. Over the past 2 months, she’s declined quickly.
I had an oncologist appt yesterday, but instead decided at this age and point, I didn’t want to take that route and put her through aggressive treatment or surgery, as it may be too much for her. Especially chemo, that’s what changed my mind.
I watched my mother in law deteriorate from it with her cancer only to die anyway, very sad :-(
What I’m dealing with now, is when do I know it’s time to say goodbye? She has Moments when I feel ok this is it, but then she still tries to eat, still uses litter, and looks for attention at certain moments. The biggest issue now is she isn’t pooping. Not sure if it’s because of the pain from muscle loss and trying to push, or if the tumor is now blocking her from going, but that is concerning me. We were at the vet Monday and he said he didn’t feel that she was constipated or backed up, but she still needs to go. We go again tomorrow, as she’s due for SQ fluids and a second dose of her steroid, so I’ll ask him again what can we do to get her to go. I believe that’s what has her so down, but if there’s no way to get her to go, I may have to think about saying goodbye, as I don’t want her to keep suffering. This is by far the hardest thing to ever have to watch or deal with. I tried ordering NHV supplements as I heard they work good at providing a good QOL, but because she barely eats, I can’t get them down in her. Anyone ever experience this, or have any advice on how to move forward with her current condition?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your lady:(

You might consider rescheduling with the oncologist. My dog had cancer last summer, so I spent lots of time in appointments with oncologists, and what I learned is that they don't push treatment on animals in the same way that they do with humans. Since animals don't know what's going on, they don't give them enough chemo/radiation to cause them pain like they do with humans. Even if you decide not to do the treatments, you might find an oncologist to be a good resource.

I'd also recommend Brighthaven. BrightHaven | Center for Animal Rescue, Hospice and Holistic Education They offer lots of support for end-of-life care. Even if you don't do a consultation with them, their website has lots of resources.

This time is so hard. Wishing you the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sgilyard21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Sgilyard21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about your lady:(

You might consider rescheduling with the oncologist. My dog had cancer last summer, so I spent lots of time in appointments with oncologists, and what I learned is that they don't push treatment on animals in the same way that they do with humans. Since animals don't know what's going on, they don't give them enough chemo/radiation to cause them pain like they do with humans. Even if you decide not to do the treatments, you might find an oncologist to be a good resource.

I'd also recommend Brighthaven. BrightHaven | Center for Animal Rescue, Hospice and Holistic Education They offer lots of support for end-of-life care. Even if you don't do a consultation with them, their website has lots of resources.

This time is so hard. Wishing you the best.
Thank you so much for your kind words and feedback. 😊. I decided not to take her because she had just been to her regular vet on Monday and each visit stresses her tremendously. So taking her on a long ride to the oncologist Weds. would’ve just added to that stress. Then to see her vet again tomorrow, it’s just a lot for her. I think maybe if she were a bit stronger or if maybe we had caught it sooner, she may have had a fighting chance, but it has progressed so quickly, she’s not strong enough to handle aggressive treatment. I was hoping the supplements would help her build back some energy, muscle and strength, but I can’t get them in her, which makes it difficult for them to work. The vet suggested we make her comfortable until we no longer can and maybe think about euthanasia. But I will talk to her vet again to see what he thinks, as he pretty much said if it were his cat, he wouldn’t put her through the stress, as it may not even work for her at this point. I’m just so heart broken, because I know she doesn’t have much time. I cry everyday because it’s so hard to accept.

Timewarpcat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry about your cat. It's so hard. I have had cats for 30 years, and I feel I treated them too long and should have let them go about a month sooner than I had. Be kind to yourself. It's impossible to know when is the best time. As a beloved pet, your cat has had a good life. We are all mortal and coming to terms with that is a difficult thing.

Sgilyard21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I genuinely appreciate your kind words. After the visit to the vet today, I realized I will need to say goodbye to her very soon. She’s almost ready, and my heart is broken into a million pieces, but I have to do what’s best for her. Just spending my last few days I may have left with her, before I say goodbye 😔