How do you know if your cat will do well with another cat?

CaitlinH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I have lately thinking that my cat might need a friend to hang out with- my boyfriend is looking for a hybrid/ not fully remote job, and I don't know if my cat would love being by herself!

How do you know if your cat would do well with another cat? I don't want to get her stressed/upset or have them fight all the time and have to deal with that. But I do feel like she would love to have a friend to play! I mean, who doesn't!?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most significant predictor is the age of your cat. Cats get less adaptible and accepting of new cats as they age. At least in general.
Beyond that, matching activity levels is a useful thing if it can be done. For example, even though kittens are often the best choice when adding a cat, they have so much energy that its sometimes a problem. So a lazy kinda fat 6 year old cat might do better with a very chill adult cat than a kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaitlinH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kio is almost 2 and she can be high energy but i wouldn't call it high energy, if that makes sense

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I have lately thinking that my cat might need a friend to hang out with- my boyfriend is looking for a hybrid/ not fully remote job, and I don't know if my cat would love being by herself!

How do you know if your cat would do well with another cat? I don't want to get her stressed/upset or have them fight all the time and have to deal with that. But I do feel like she would love to have a friend to play! I mean, who doesn't!?
In the Spring of 2019 when I got my first boy (Miles ). He was then a older kitten of 10 months. The Breeder suggested that a playmate should be a young. This way they can grow up together. So in November 2019 I added 3 month old (Jackpot ) to my cat family. They are the same breed but of different parents. Older Miles since they first met has treated Jackpot like a little brother.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kio is almost 2 and she can be high energy but i wouldn't call it high energy, if that makes sense
Most cats under two do very well with another cat. Adding a kitten would be the easiest choice, with friendship being highly likely. Another similar cat under two would also be a good choice, with perhaps a slightly more difficult introduction process, but still excellent chances for friendship.

You'll probably be a little off put by how rough the 2 year old plays with a kitten, but can come back for reassurance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a hard decision. I went on the facts that I'd adopted Delilah during covid lock down so she was so used to me being home, and when I went back to teaching full time she seemed more lonely and needy. A lot of it is finding the right second cat. And the slow intro is a must (unless one of the cats decides to rush it).

Today is exactly 2 months since I brought my 2nd kitty home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CaitlinH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a hard decision. I went on the facts that I'd adopted Delilah during covid lock down so she was so used to me being home, and when I went back to teaching full time she seemed more lonely and needy. A lot of it is finding the right second cat. And the slow intro is a must (unless one of the cats decides to rush it).

Today is exactly 2 months since I brought my 2nd kitty home.
Do you see a difference in your first cat? Or did cause more stress?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She was a little standoffish for a few weeks, like "why did you bring this interloper home?" Now she's just about back where she was before. Mind you the girls aren't snuggle buddies. They're more like roommates still figuring things out. Once in a while they will sniff noses, and then Delilah is like "now go away and stop bugging me".

This is detente

20220114_193523.jpg 20220109_173230.jpg