How Do You Know For Sure If A Cat Truly Loves You Or Shes Just In Heat?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, last night while i was busy doing something my white/orange cat that i took in a few months ago hopped onto my sofa and proceeded to lick my forearm and knead my shirt in the chest. I was pretty shocked becuase , you see, she hates other cats and always keep a distant from me. Always protest when i picked her up too. Is this love or shes in heat?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If this is a significant change in behavior and she has not been spayed she is very possibly in heat. How old is she? Are your other cats neutered?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even in heat I don’t know that she would jump up and lay on you if she didn’t love you. I suspect if you got her spayed and she didn’t have the distraction and discomfort of being in heat she would be even more loving. But please get her spayed before she sneaks out and you both have the distraction of kittens to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trapped her a few months ago and got her spayed along witha 4-5 other in the colony too. The males arent neutered. Cant really tell her age. Maybe less than 5yo idk. Its funny cuz i havent named all the strays i took in except for 2. One name “Homeless” and the other one “Tiny” for obvious reason. I have yet to name the cat in question.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is spayed, she can't go into heat anymore. I think it's safe to assume that she loves you!

Are you planning to continue trapping and getting the rest of the colony fixed? Thank you for helping these cats!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh i didnt know if a cat is spayed it can no longer go into heat. I thought they still can but wont have babies. Interesting2know. And now my other cat whos spayed is getting pummeled (hes forcing himself on her) by my boy. I look kinda painful. Should i separate them?

Today i caught her staring at me. She walked past me a few min ago and i reached out to stroke her and she made a u turn back to me :)
At this time i can only afford to get the girs fixed. I think there maybe 4-5 females left that i need to bring to the vets.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, removing the uterus and ovaries removes the hormones that cause cats to go into heat.

Yes, you should separate your cats if your male is being rough. It does sound like he needs to be neutered.

Where are you located? Maybe there is a rescue or TNR group that could help you with costs.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im in Houston aka the strays city. There are a couple of clinics in my area but the free appts are taken up as soon as the schedule is released.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do think it is great that you are trying to help these cats. Just to add, I have rescued adult females who did go into heat before I could get them to the vet on a couple of occasions. They exhibited mating type behavior which was completely different from affection.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok shes staring me down all the time now. Its borderline stalking at this point :)

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
D35D2498-B145-4CC9-A7B1-DA025D8DAC55.jpeg
Told you shes stalking me :)