How do you keep your glasses from fogging up when wearing a mask outside?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live in a hot, humid climate, and my glasses fog up something fierce when I wear a mask outside. So I was just wondering if there's an obvious solution that I'm overlooking, e.g., a different type of mask, a different fabric, etc. :)

I still have a ton of outdoor chores that I need to do, and I don't want my glasses fogging up while using cordless lawn equipment or power tools. I'm clumsy enough as it is. :wink:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You may think this is unappealing, but you can do what scuba divers do to keep their masks from fogging: use spit. A perhaps more appealing alternative is a few drops of baby shampoo mixed with water. Or you can actually buy the commercial anti-fog stuff that divers and snorkelers use. I used the commercial stuff when I dove, but when I’d run out, I’d use spit. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're outside on your own property with no other people around would a mask be necessary? From what I understand the cloth masks are to protect others if you are an asymptomatic carrier and it is a situation like the grocery store or pharmacy where you can't always maintain the 6 foot distance from others.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that rubbing shaving cream on it and shining it up works.

Also make sure the mask fits well against your nose. If there's no metal in the nosepiece, straighten out a paper clip and stick it in the cloth to make it fit better.

And, yeah, no reason to use a mask if nobody is around :). Is your town enforcing mask use even on your own property?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may think this is unappealing, but you can do what scuba divers do to keep their masks from fogging: use spit. A perhaps more appealing alternative is a few drops of baby shampoo mixed with water. Or you can actually buy the commercial anti-fog stuff that divers and snorkelers use. I used the commercial stuff when I dove, but when I’d run out, I’d use spit. :)
Huh. I'll give the spit a try. I can't quite seem to get the knack of using the right amount of soapy water. I either get too much or not enough. :)

Thanks!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're outside on your own property with no other people around would a mask be necessary? From what I understand the cloth masks are to protect others if you are an asymptomatic carrier and it is a situation like the grocery store or pharmacy where you can't always maintain the 6 foot distance from others.
IMHO, I don't think a mask would be necessary if you're on your own property, as long as you practice proper social distancing, which everyone around here does anyway. If we see someone outside we want to talk to, we just stay in our own yard and yell. :)

But when you live in a small town where the mayor says it's up to the police as to how lenient or aggressive they want to be about the mask requirement, I'm going to err on the side of caution, at least for now. Heck, if you can get a speeding ticket for going 41 in a 40 mph zone (even though your speedometer said you were going 38), I'm not going to tempt fate and get slapped with a $1,000 fine and/or 180 days in jail until I get a better idea how others fare. :wink:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that rubbing shaving cream on it and shining it up works.

Also make sure the mask fits well against your nose. If there's no metal in the nosepiece, straighten out a paper clip and stick it in the cloth to make it fit better.

And, yeah, no reason to use a mask if nobody is around :). Is your town enforcing mask use even on your own property?
Ooh, I forgot about shaving cream! I've heard that works great for keeping bathroom mirrors from getting fogged up, but I never thought about trying it on my glasses. Thanks bunches.

The masks we've been using have a wire at the top where you can mold them to fit your face. But I guess that only helps so much when you're working up a sweat with our heat and humidity. Ack!

Today is the first day that the mask requirement goes into effect, so everyone is a bit nervous until we see how our little bitty town is going to enforce it. Hopefully I can hurry up and get everything in the front yard wrapped up in the next couple of days so it won't be an issue. There's plenty of work to be done in the back yard, where we have a tall wood fence. :biggrin: