How Do You Keep Cats Off Your Counters?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The best luck I have ever had in keeping cats off of my counter is when I sent away for a sonic device that I found in a catalog. It was was small but compact, just needed new batteries every so often, and was incredibly effective.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took a while with constant and consistent training.

The key is to be patient, persistent and understand that humans are inherently dumb.

Given time, you too can wear down your human and teach them to accept the inevitable.

Oh.......we are sorry, we thought the post was asking how to keep cats ON your counters!

Attachments

mandmcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best thing that worked in the beginning was double sided tape. After feeling the stickiness, she stopped for a while. It took FOREVER for us to get all the sticky residue off our counters... One portion of the counter where she can reach the fridge, we just put a bunch of things on there so she has no room to jump up. Luckily it's only about 2 ft of counter space here. We block it because if she gets on the fridge, she gets on top of our cabinets and we can't reach her.

Now that we have 2 cats... the first one started going on the counter again because the new one did. They manage to avoid the section of counter with the stove, thank goodness. But they will hop on our island counter since we have stools that give them an easy ladder up. There's not a whole lot we can do. They stay out of my way when I am preparing food so we live with it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I g got cheap plastic place mats at the dollar store and covered them with double sided tape. Put them in all the counter. It seems to be working.
I'm a big fan of double sticky tape as well. For me it's worked wonders in keeping my Cats from going places I don't want them sitting/walking, and from scratching things I don't want them scratching. It's actually kinda funny to watch a Cat start scratching a doorframe or chair leg only to stop and shake their paw, try it again, then run off somewhere to lick their paws.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could use double sided sticky tape - mainly for Olive’s preference for couch scratching (she loves scratching fabric, and prefers it to the many posts we have for her). However in a ridiculous level of coordination Gohan loves to chew on tape. It would be tapegeddon :doh2:

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can actually keep cats off of the counters??? i didn't know that was a thing...I have two fur babies (sisters) who are now 2 years old, and I simply gave up on the counter, dinning room table thing. we simply keep food off, and when we cook we clean with Mr. clean before cooking and/or eating at the dinning room table. it's much less stressful this way, trust me.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually welcome Krista on the countertop. At 15, she doesn’t move as well as she used to. So I built her this path up to the counter with Katris pieces. Now she can hands-on supervise me while I prep her meals. And I get to inspect her body condition, observe her movement, give her some extra exercise, and of course love on and be loved on. Our meal prep time is some of my favorite time with her.
48CEE8F2-F2AD-47E1-A2CA-B972702215FA.jpeg

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made a deal with Cheese....I don't care about you on the counters, as long as you don't do it when we have company over, or get on the dining table while I am eating. Seems to be working :)

Also, one of her favorite places to go is on top of my cupboards. She has a pathway up there via various pieces of kitchen equipment. She LOVES to sit up there right above my head and watch me cook. Weirdo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! These comments have been helpful and hilarious!! My two other cats eventually stopped doing it (at least while I am looking), so maybe there is hope for the kitten! :)