How do you keep ants out of the food?

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my cat on a low ironing board because that was the only place ants couldn't get, and it was easy for her to jump. However, now she is older. Has anyone found a way to feed your pets on a low surface without ants invading?  Thank you.

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Use a pie plate and then put her bowl at the center of the pie plate and put water in the pie plate to create a moat.  The ants cannot get through the water to the bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Use a pie plate and then put her bowl at the center of the pie plate and put water in the pie plate to create a moat.  The ants cannot get through the water to the bowl.
Great! Thank you so much...simple and effective!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't struggle with ants until I took on a rescue that only ate kibble at first.  The ants went straight for that kibble...grrr!  I had some diatomaceous earth and sprinkled it on the floor around the food bowl and they left the food alone.  More messy than Red Top Rescue's suggestion, but worth a try if her idea doesn't pan out.  I had an older cat that would constantly stick her paws in water bowls and drag them along the floor and make a mess as she got older.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We used a place mat with a raised edge around it to feed our shop cat. Her bowls went in the centre, a ring of Sunlight dish soap went around the edge of the mat. No ants mate it to her dishes.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help with the ants in the dry lol will they like to get in my dogs food bowl which is outside how do you stop outside ants to go in a dog food bowl? Sorry if I hijacked this thread with a dog issue :/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need help with the ants in the dry lol will they like to get in my dogs food bowl which is outside how do you stop outside ants to go in a dog food bowl? Sorry if I hijacked this thread with a dog issue :/
No problem
I love dogs too, and whatever we learn can help both dogs and cats.