How do you get a cat to the vet WITHOUT a carrier?

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
II have no idea where else to post this question, so if it should be somewhere else, feel free to move it there.

Twix is going to get spayed soon. I have no idea how to bring her in. WQith a dog you grab a leash, pop the dog in the car, and whiz off to the vet. With a cat, though, what do you do? I know you're supposed to put them in a carrier, but I don't have one. Is there anything to substitute for one, or should I just grab my cat and hope for the best?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
try a large box, as long as there some air holes and you secure the top, whilst not perfect would be safer than letting your kit run about in the car !

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard a pillowcase works pretty well, too...

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat is getting spayed and has to feel safe. A cardboard box is an absolute last resort. As sicycat said - you can get cardboard cat carriers from Petco for very cheap. Please please please get an appropriate carrier - you can not just carry a cat into the vets. There are generally dogs there which will think this cat is a great thing to play with, and your cat will feel a lot less secure in such an open space. She needs the confines of a carrier to feel safe.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vets will not even allow a cat to come in without a carrier. If you dont have one they make you buy one of the cardboard ones right there.

tricias_petz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The woman who traps Feral cats around here brings them to the vet in her "Cat Bag", which is basically a pillowcase with a drawstring. Apparently the cats feel safer in these bags, but I do not know.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also suggest you get a carrier. It's a good investment since you may need it from time to time for vet visits, isolation for medical reasons, etc.

Once you get the carrier, leave in open in your main living area with a soft towel or small blanket in the bottom so the cat can use it for a nap place and know that it is not a bad thing. We would do this for a few days to a week before any vet visit and it would not be difficult to get the kitties in the carrier.

Every vet is different too. Our vet has no problem with us bringing our cats in without a carrier. We do, however, have a harness and leash on them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Radar would be ok in a pillowcase, but I would worry that it wasn't secure enough, he is a little houdini! And he'd probably explode out of it in the vet surgery. He has this habit of hiding in boxes and bags and when someone bends over to look in he leaps at top speed aiming for their face with his head he is going to break my nose one day, I can just imagine the joy he would spread if he did that to the vet

I really would recommend getting a cheap carrier, they are not that expensive, and you never know when you might have a medical emergency involving a very stressed and frightened kitty.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

try a large box, as long as there some air holes and you secure the top, whilst not perfect would be safer than letting your kit run about in the car !
Yes, please do not let your cat roam free in the car, that is completely unsafe.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

yep.....mine too............sorry but I just cant imagine a cat in a bag
I think it isn't the cat in the bag that would be a problem...it would be ...

LETTING THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG!!!

Sorry...I couldn't resist...

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't use a pillowcase, please. Cats have claws and the cat will let itself out of the bag. Or box if you use a cardboard box.

The best thing to do it to buy a carrier. It is the only safe way (other than harness training, but I STRONGLY suggest that even people with harness trained cats have a with them carrier in case of dogs, other cats or even vet policies) to transport a cat safely. Letting a cat roam in a car is unsafe for both you and the cat (and other motorists, if she gets under the pedal or blocks your view) and other containment methods are either unsecure or, quite frankly, mean. If she's very wild or aggressive, consider renting a humane trap from your local humane society in order to trap and contain her SAFELY.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TO me it depends on your cat is your cat really nervous and hyper?...My Bella just sat in a basket and never moved she was very calm and nothing bothered her. Also my cat Joey pees everytime he goes in a carrier from nerves, and I have to put puppy peepee pads in there. I have carried my cats in the vet in just a blanket, they never had an issue, but it depends on the kitty!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I recall, OP is only 13 and probably cant afford an expensive carrier.
I am at least hoping she can go get a cardboard one at Petco.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just be so scared carrying them in like that. What if an ambulance or police car went by and spooked them as I was walking across the parking lot? The cat would be off in a blaze of glory and I would be totally unable to catch up!