How do you get a cat to the vet WITHOUT a carrier?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What my family used to do, we never owned a carrier
but we would get 2 laundry baskets and put them together, like making a big carrier and tie them together with a shoestring; tie one side, put kitty in and then tie the other side! always worked very well for us

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sicycat

If I recall, OP is only 13 and probably cant afford an expensive carrier.
I am at least hoping she can go get a cardboard one at Petco.
Petsmart has economy ones for $10-15. Perhaps the OP or her guardian can spring $10 for something as vital as a carrier.

juliekit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dont have a carrier yet, because the need hasnt been there, but I will get one soon. I had a small scare with Ceci and if I needed to take her to the vet I was going to borrow my stepdads moms carrier, she has a chihuahua and the carrier is brand new.

On the other hand, Cat Carriers at walmart are only 13 dollars (where I live) im sure in the uS they are a bit cheaper.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you checked with the vet to see if they will lend you a cat carrier? I once took a cat to the vet in the car w/out a carrier...it wasn't fun, to put it mildly. They offered a cat carrier to me when I went to pick her up. I didn't even think to ask if they had one for the trip in. You may want to call and see if they have them available. I agree, a carrier would be best. Do you have any friends that have one to lend you?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only safe way to transport a cat is to transport them in a carrier.
Boxes can be dropped and the cat can get out- and it is just downright not safe to put a cat in a pillowcase or blanket to get them there. You can't hold them in there securely while driving so they could get out in your car and distract you - which could cause a wreck. Please go to wal-mart or your local pet store and invest in a small carrier for your cat- it is the only safe way to transport them. Also- slide the seat belt through the handle of the carrier when you get one and fasten it in when you're driving so that way if you turn quickly or get into a wreck- your kitty will be safer
/ But please go get a carrier
You can find them for around $10-$15 - it is just not something to go without- also you need one should there ever be an emergency in your area such as a natural disaster where you need to get your animals and go- you should have a small supply of cat food, any medicine, toys, litter, a few bottles of water and small dishes, and an aluminum tin pan to use as a litter pan near your carrier at all times as well as a copy of medicial records for your pet. A carrier is a good investment

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I've heard a pillowcase works pretty well, too...
my next door neighbor works at my vets office, she suggests a pillow case too in an emergency situation.... like when we found LuckyGirl, and didn't even have a regular litter box yet, but I needed to bring her in.....but she also says to "back them in" this way they are less scared.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a very bad experience once when I brought Misty to the vet and didn't have a cat carrier at the time. She wound up under my brakes and I couldn't stop the car without hurting her. I finally was able to push her gently with my foot and she got out from under there but it was a very scary experience. Maybe you can bring someone with you to hold the kitty while your driving, that way she can't run around in the car.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

The only safe way to transport a cat is to transport them in a carrier.
Boxes can be dropped and the cat can get out- and it is just downright not safe to put a cat in a pillowcase or blanket to get them there. You can't hold them in there securely while driving so they could get out in your car and distract you - which could cause a wreck. Please go to wal-mart or your local pet store and invest in a small carrier for your cat- it is the only safe way to transport them. Also- slide the seat belt through the handle of the carrier when you get one and fasten it in when you're driving so that way if you turn quickly or get into a wreck- your kitty will be safer
/ But please go get a carrier
You can find them for around $10-$15 - it is just not something to go without- also you need one should there ever be an emergency in your area such as a natural disaster where you need to get your animals and go- you should have a small supply of cat food, any medicine, toys, litter, a few bottles of water and small dishes, and an aluminum tin pan to use as a litter pan near your carrier at all times as well as a copy of medicial records for your pet. A carrier is a good investment
I know what you mean about being unsafe, see my post by larussa. I now have two carriers so I am never without one.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think it isn't the cat in the bag that would be a problem...it would be ...

LETTING THE CAT OUT OF THE BAG!!!

Sorry...I couldn't resist...
LOL, that is so funny...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... I didn't expect to get so many replies! Thank you, everyone, for replying. I realize now what a pain it would be to have kitty Twix running loose in the van, plus the risk of opening doors and having her shhot out, never to be seen again. I got my mom to check walmart for a carrier. Let's hope that she finds one! (If she doesn't, I will definitely try one of the methods on here.)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

that's what i used before i had a carrier. but the cardboard ones are inexpensive & available at the petstores. like this one.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, if you can't find a carrier, a cardboard box will work just fine (just make sure it has air holes and is securely fastened closed). Those cardboard carriers they sell are essentially the same thing.

Most cats love boxes... unlike carriers. My cat loathes the carrier, but is thrilled to get into any box. I've contemplated using a box to take him to the vet, but I'd be too embarrassed.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It does, our Maggie would have a fit if she even saw a carrier so we also took her to the vet in a pillowcase.
She never made a peep..in fact I think she actually liked hiding in it.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pillowcase method is one suggested by Neuter Scooter especially for those bringing in strays/ferals. They also recommend placing the pillowcase in a box.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Best thing to do is to wrap a large towel around the cat and hold him tight. Carriers are not that expensive. Can you get to Petsmart or Petco before going to the vet? Or call up the local shelter and see if you can buy one of their cardboard temporary carriers.

I noticed you live in MN - where? Private message me and we will see if we can get you a carrier. I have a small one that we'll be selling in our spring yard sale - $5.00 - if we can make arrangements its yours for $5.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets actually have and will sell you a cardboard carrier box, so it wouldn't hurt to ask the vet.

When Sho went to a closer vet I would always put his harness on him then wrap a towel around him, the towel was because he gets nervous and sheds a lot. Of course I wasn't driving
The first two times I took Tomas to the vet, 15-20 minute drive away, he cried in the carrier and prefered to hide inside my jacket.
I joked with my husband that if I had a big enough pouch/pocket on the jacket he would have been in it. The receptionist at the front desk gave me a silly look when she saw a kitten head pop out too.

If the OP is a kid they won't be driving so they could probably hold their cat. However, if the cat gets wild at all it can make a break for it as soon as that door is opened. There has to be at least a harness and collar on it for some restaint. Oh, and another small thing to consider, some cats get carsick.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the laundry basket idea. I did this when I first got my first cat and it worked like a charm! It was a bit bulky, but she had plenty of room, there was ventilation, she could see out of it and it was easy to tie together. I used rope instead of the shoestring as rope was more handy. Until you're able to afford a carrier, this would work just fine. It was also fairly easy to carry.

Stephanie

meowchi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i had an experience traveling a cat in the car w/o a carrier and it really went bad.. i suggest a laundry basket with a towel at the bottom. make sure it's perfectly covered so your cat won't be able to hop out of it.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you can get a cheap carrier - esp as you are taking her to be spayed, she will need something secure for the journey home. I personally wouldn't like to use a pillowcase unless it was for a temporary measure, and can't see how well the vets will be able to get her back in it after she has been spayed.