How Do You Deal With People Who Say "it's Just A Cat, Get Over It"?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I see myself as their guardian angel. The vet techs help them with physical healing and i help them with emotional and spiritual healing by giving them love and helping them to trust again.

This is my YouTube channel. I post videos on YouTube and link to them on Reddit. I’ve gotten at least half a dozen adoptions from doing this that i know about but i suspect the number is actually much higher. Like Spice 11 had no interest for two months. Then i post a video and 3 days later he went home :)

Shelter Cats of Baltimore
That is AMAZING!

I think you should post It in the Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser, it is something really positive to share, to show others that we can really have a positive impact in cats' lives even if we cannot adopt them all ourselves. If more volunteers did what you do, uploading videos of kitties in shelters being themselves with someone they trust, maybe shelters wouldn't be so crowded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

This was a conversation I had today. I pity MythOfPrivilege. If you've never known the unconditional love of an animal, you're missing out. I'm sure there's probably a very fixable reason why they are misbehaving (like bad locations of litter boxes, being stressed, etc).

I thought the line "you're talking about them like they're children" was very telling. I DO see them like children. Innocent but full of love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is AMAZING!

I think you should post It in the Mega Pawsitive Fundraiser, it is something really positive to share, to show others that we can really have a positive impact in cats' lives even if we cannot adopt them all ourselves. If more volunteers did what you do, uploading videos of kitties in shelters being themselves with someone they trust, maybe shelters wouldn't be so crowded.
We help each other. No matter how stressed, sad, angry, lonely, etc I am, give me 20 minutes with a cat in my lap and I ALWAYS feel better.

And I help them trust again and feel comfortable. Yesterday this kitty

who came in as a stray was so scared she couldn't move. She was giving me these "please love me I'm scared eyes", so I did. Tucked her in with a warm blanket and gave her head scratches. She looked at me lovingly and curled up with purrs and a big smile. I rested my eyes too. What was so sweet was that when she thought I wasn't looking she opened her eyes and just gazed at me lovingly, then went back to trying to sleep or pretending to sleep when I fully opened my eyes.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We help each other. No matter how stressed, sad, angry, lonely, etc I am, give me 20 minutes with a cat in my lap and I ALWAYS feel better.

And I help them trust again and feel comfortable. Yesterday this kitty

who came in as a stray was so scared she couldn't move. She was giving me these "please love me I'm scared eyes", so I did. Tucked her in with a warm blanket and gave her head scratches. She looked at me lovingly and curled up with purrs and a big smile. I rested my eyes too. What was so sweet was that when she thought I wasn't looking she opened her eyes and just gazed at me lovingly, then went back to trying to sleep or pretending to sleep when I fully opened my eyes.
Such a beautiful experience :) You are a great person and are making a difference building a better world.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I posted an update: My Family Doesn't Understand Why I Volunteer And Help Cats And It's Tearing Me Apart

Any advice is much appreciated. I'm in my room with tears in my eyes feeling very raw.
One thing I've learned from the School of Hard Knocks where I've spent most of my life is: never, ever, rely on other people for approval or to make you feel like you're worthy. You ARE worthy. And you don't have to, and shouldn't, look to other people to boost your self-esteem. You KNOW what is right in your heart. And as for those who are intolerant and hateful, THEY are the losers. THEY are lacking. Not you. Once you really "get" that, other people won't bug you as much as they might do now. Because your power is within you, not outside of you, and you'll see them for what they are: little people with shrivelled little hearts and souls, to pray for if you pray, or to feel sorry for, not in a bad way but in a true way, because they are truly missing out on so much of life's love and beauty. People are not born hating and intolerant. They learn it. And those who learn it are to be pitied and hoped for, that they will somehow see their way up and out of that terrible way of thinking and being.
I also share for cats needing loving permanent homes on social media, every day. I've been doing this for about eight years, and to me, it is the most rewarding work there is, because I am part of a global community helping to save innocent lives. Whenever a cat finds a loving home, it is a cause to celebrate and rejoice. Whenever a cat gets to safe haven with rescue, that is also a cause to rejoice -- some of the cats arrive to the ACC in the worst possible condition, and they are healed, loved, and thrive with loving care.
I'm not an advice giver, but if I was, my advice would be to keep doing what you are doing, feeling what you are feeling, and being patient, because when you ARE able to go on your own, you will be able to adopt a cat -- or more than one, as cats are very social -- and your life will be much, much enriched! In the meantime, try to be patient and bear in mind that those around you who are small-hearted and small-souled are just that. This society encourages that, by the way, if you don't know that already. But we can, will, and do rise above that. All the very BEST to you. You are a hero!

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone who's said, "It's only a cat" to me is informed that I do not waste my time with imbeciles like them, and are the kinds of people I would put out on the curb on trash day.

Then I get on with my life. I wouldn't pee on these people if they were on fire.