How Do You Deal With People Who Say "it's Just A Cat, Get Over It"?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it should be in our place to judge. If someone has never had a cat or dog before, how are they to know what someone with the loss of a pet is going through? Not everyone loves animals, and I suppose they are entitled to that opinion, but, then again, they shouldn't rub it in.

:2cents:>>>just my two cents.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I love the shirt. Yep. IDIOTS.

Hahahaha- my viper tongue has gotten me into trouble many times-I don't hold back. Life's too short you know? So if someone is a moron I feed them moron cereal right back. Usually they either make fun of me more- or wisely shut up. Either way they are still a moron to me.

As far as people=

I tend to withdraw inside and never show my true colors around jaded people like that.

I have family who claim to like animals but it's just a status symbol to them. They don't care about their wellbeing or take proper care of them.

I don't discuss my personal stuff with them anymore. In life we learn the "keep them at arms length" which means- emotional triggers we just don't discuss with them. Keep a wall up. Still spend time with family-be there for them-but keep a part of yourself protected forever and ever. I will never lower my walls again for someone to break my heart.

Instead I come on here and share what's going on emotionally. Or my facebook friends. Since I only friend animal lovers-everyone else can take a hike. I don't have time or energy to listen to soulless people.

Sending you hugs...I still wear my heart on my sleeve but the older I get-I am getting pretty good at poker face. Unfortunately it takes time to learn this. Watch others and copy. Fake it until you make it. My parents were not animal people-my dad tried to be this big gruff guy-but the day our cat passed away he bawled like a baby=I never seen my father cry=it was an eye opener-wish people would be human more often...I think some people like to act all tough and not care-but when it comes down to it-they say it's just a cat or dog or whatever=but inside they know it's more than just a cat/dog.... let's hope they come around sooner rather than later for you-it helps to have support..if they don't-you can always come here and vent.

Cub and Belle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the shirt. Yep. IDIOTS.

Hahahaha- my viper tongue has gotten me into trouble many times-I don't hold back. Life's too short you know? So if someone is a moron I feed them moron cereal right back. Usually they either make fun of me more- or wisely shut up. Either way they are still a moron to me.

As far as people=

I tend to withdraw inside and never show my true colors around jaded people like that.

I have family who claim to like animals but it's just a status symbol to them. They don't care about their wellbeing or take proper care of them.

I don't discuss my personal stuff with them anymore. In life we learn the "keep them at arms length" which means- emotional triggers we just don't discuss with them. Keep a wall up. Still spend time with family-be there for them-but keep a part of yourself protected forever and ever. I will never lower my walls again for someone to break my heart.

Instead I come on here and share what's going on emotionally. Or my facebook friends. Since I only friend animal lovers-everyone else can take a hike. I don't have time or energy to listen to soulless people.

Sending you hugs...I still wear my heart on my sleeve but the older I get-I am getting pretty good at poker face. Unfortunately it takes time to learn this. Watch others and copy. Fake it until you make it. My parents were not animal people-my dad tried to be this big gruff guy-but the day our cat passed away he bawled like a baby=I never seen my father cry=it was an eye opener-wish people would be human more often...I think some people like to act all tough and not care-but when it comes down to it-they say it's just a cat or dog or whatever=but inside they know it's more than just a cat/dog.... let's hope they come around sooner rather than later for you-it helps to have support..if they don't-you can always come here and vent.
Glad you like the shirt, i think Louise found it online, maybe Amazon earlier in the year.
My wife often wears that shirt to work. All of her colleagues have been very kind since Cub passed on. We miss that cat so much, but get a lot of comfort from Belle.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love kitties. Clearly. My family does not. My mom is deathly allergic and my dad just isn't a fan of them.

One of my all-time favorite shelter kitties passed away the other day. He was adopted thankfully, and I kept in touch with his new dad, but it still hits me hard since it wasn't even a year after adopting. He was 9 and was a stray his entire life.... I was hoping he would have more time.

I've been mourning and dealing with the grief for a couple days now. I tried to talk to my mom and dad about it (we've always been close), but their reaction really stunned me. My mom said "it's just a cat, it's not a person." And my dad said "c'mon, don't be dramatic, it's an animal." I wish I could say I haven't gotten this attitude before, but how do you explain to people who just don't understand that a cat isn't just a pet, they're much more than that?
My deepest condolences for your loss, I I_Wuv_Kitties . What I would say to people like that, no matter who they are, wouldn't be printable on this site, but you get the picture, I'm sure. My family, of both genders, going back forever as far as I know, have always loved, protected, respected, rescued, and adopted cats, and to us, they certainly are FAMILY, not "pets". They are our equals in value, if different in some ways from us. We love them very, very much. I've always felt that people who are intolerant -- and that's what we're really talking about -- are the losers, because they are missing out on so much in letting love into their lives and getting to know and share life with those they shut out.
:redheartpump::kitty::redheartpump: :hugs:
10325_1225350800374_1427132454_30681171_1792713_s.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welp i typed a big long emotional reply but it freaking got deleted when i hit submit. No idea why. So I’ll give everyone the short version.

Saving up to buy a townhouse. Mom doesn’t like animals at all. I have been begging her all my life to get a dog or another companion animal because i love animals. She’s always said no. It hasn’t bothered me too much except recently when I’ve started to resent her a bit for it. I am prone to depression. Nothing helps like cuddles. Nothing. I need a cat to love. Not want. I’m lonely. Really really lonely. Need. I haven’t told anyone this but i sleep cuddling a stuffed animal. A Build a bear husky who kind of looks like a kitty.

Cuddles make everything better. No matter how terrible i feel going in, i always feel loved and like things are going to be okay after an hour or two cuddling cats at the shelter. Cats and people aren’t that different. We just want to love and be loved. It’s odd but when you give unconditional love to others it’s like giving it to yourself. I’m comforting myself by loving them. Idk how to explain it.

Today i wrapped my arms around and gave lots of love to a stray kitty who just had surgery to remove a broken leg. When i was cradling and reassuring him it was like i was also reassuring myself. And he gave me lots of kisses :)

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welp i typed a big long emotional reply but it freaking got deleted when i hit submit. No idea why. So I’ll give everyone the short version.

Saving up to buy a townhouse. Mom doesn’t like animals at all. I have been begging her all my life to get a dog or another companion animal because i love animals. She’s always said no. It hasn’t bothered me too much except recently when I’ve started to resent her a bit for it. I am prone to depression. Nothing helps like cuddles. Nothing. I need a cat to love. Not want. I’m lonely. Really really lonely. Need. I haven’t told anyone this but i sleep cuddling a stuffed animal. A Build a bear husky who kind of looks like a kitty. No matter how terrible i feel going in, i always feel loved and like things are going to be okay after an hour or two cuddling cats at the shelter. Cats and people aren’t that different. We just want to love and be loved.
Well, this probably doesn't help, but I sleep cuddling a sttuffed horse, even though I have two cats in my bedroom they don't like been hugged.
Is there any way you can explain your mother that you do really need a cat or a dog as a therapy/support animal? Or have a doctor explain it to her, that It would really help you to deal with those black clouds that sometimes don't ley us see the light?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this probably doesn't help, but I sleep cuddling a sttuffed horse, even though I have two cats in my bedroom they don't like been hugged.
Is there any way you can explain your mother that you do really need a cat or a dog as a therapy/support animal? Or have a doctor explain it to her, that It would really help you to deal with those black clouds that sometimes don't ley us see the light?
I have tried. Numerous times. She just doesn’t get it. She says “well when you move out you can get one. You can have 10 and be the crazy cat lady.” I’m a dude btw

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have tried. Numerous times. She just doesn’t get it. She says “well when you move out you can get one. You can have 10 and be the crazy cat lady.” I’m a dude btw
Well, you can be the mighty Cat Lord, then. One is only crazy when not liking animals, never the opposite, so don't worry about it. The time will come.
Meanwhile, you work in the shelter is making those cats lives way better, and I admire you for it.

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you can be the mighty Cat Lord, then. One is only crazy when not liking animals, never the opposite, so don't worry about it. The time will come.
Meanwhile, you work in the shelter is making those cats lives way better, and I admire you for it.
Thank you. I see myself as their guardian angel. The vet techs help them with physical healing and i help them with emotional and spiritual healing by giving them love and helping them to trust again.

This is my YouTube channel. I post videos on YouTube and link to them on Reddit. I’ve gotten at least half a dozen adoptions from doing this that i know about but i suspect the number is actually much higher. Like Spice 11 had no interest for two months. Then i post a video and 3 days later he went home :)

Shelter Cats of Baltimore

catmom1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pets are family to those of us who truly love them. Losing them can be as hard, or even harder, than losing a family member. They are our babies. We seem them when we wake up, when we come home and when we go to sleep. We feed them, take care of them and love them.

Darkiplier

The Sire
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nearly everyone in my country has that same attitude. I mean, I know one guy who used to have five cats. One got an infection and died last year, and the other died from diabetes about a month ago. When I asked him about it, he said he hoped the cat would go to hell, albeit in different wording.

I lost a cat eleven years ago and I was just mourning him a little over a month ago. People who love animals always have a special spot in their hearts for them, but people that don't I just pity.

I'm terrible with people, but I can tell you this, even though it has already been said, most likely: While it's not impossible, you most likely won't be able to change their minds, as most people (myself included) tend to be a little stubborn in this matter, but instead, why don't you look for like-minded people to speak to? Most likely, people can't help with what they've never experienced because they wouldn't then know what it's like what you're going through.

But what do I know? I mean, I think all of this was just some incoherent ranting made in an attempt to convey a message. I hope you got my point tho.