How Do You Deal With People Who Say "it's Just A Cat, Get Over It"?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love kitties. Clearly. My family does not. My mom is deathly allergic and my dad just isn't a fan of them.

One of my all-time favorite shelter kitties passed away the other day. He was adopted thankfully, and I kept in touch with his new dad, but it still hits me hard since it wasn't even a year after adopting. He was 9 and was a stray his entire life.... I was hoping he would have more time.

I've been mourning and dealing with the grief for a couple days now. I tried to talk to my mom and dad about it (we've always been close), but their reaction really stunned me. My mom said "it's just a cat, it's not a person." And my dad said "c'mon, don't be dramatic, it's an animal." I wish I could say I haven't gotten this attitude before, but how do you explain to people who just don't understand that a cat isn't just a pet, they're much more than that?

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
For the most part you will not change them and their attitudes, they are clearly not animal lovers if they can say things like that, don't waste your energy. Our neighbor is like that, they raise Skye terriers but when one passes it's like it is no big deal to them, but that's how they are. We are different, and mourn them as much if not more than a person. A friend of mine who is a psychologist says he mourns animals more when they die than some humans, animals love is unconditional, so he feels the opposite of the "it's just a cat" people.

However YOU feel is what is important, you will only spin your wheels trying to convince other people unless they do get attached to a pet, then they will understand what you were talking about when it passes.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents are the same way, they think pets are replacable. My dad used to make my childhood cats live outside and we would get yelled at if we snuck them in. I don't know if it's a generational thing or not. I just know that I'm still mourning them, 20 years later, so they weren't just cats, they were my babies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since there is nothing that you can say that will change their minds, you deal with it by holding close to you the knowledge that you live in a world of "thou," not a world of "it," and that your own life is much deeper and richer than they can ever understand because of that. You will feel more pain than they ever will, but the reverse is also true, you will feel more joy than they can ever comprehend.

I am so sorry that the shelter kitty you loved has gone on the the rainbow bridge, but filled with joy that he went as the beloved member of a real family. May all shelter kitties (and dogs) someday know that comfort.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I I_Wuv_Kitties , I'm sorry for your foster kitty. Do you know what happened to him?
I'm sure that when he passed, he thought of you as well, because you gave him the chance to have a new and better life. He had the warmth of a family because of you.

As for your parents, my past experiences taught me to avoid speaking about pets loss or illnesses with people who haven't shown and proved their love or interest for animals before.
It gives nothing but sadness or heartbreak when you get their replies like the ones you had.
I wouldn't like to get into more personal details, but I don't even talk about my cat with my mother, because I received rough or unwelcome comments before.

You have us, though, we will never say "it's just a cat", because it never is.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I am truly sorry for your loss of your shelter kitty. You took care of him and helped him find his forever home. He was a part of you and you loved him. You will surely mourn his loss. It is so unfortunate that there are so many people who don't understand what it is to love a pet or know that the pet loves you. They just don't get it , but that is fine. It is their loss, not yours. You will never change someone's thinking, no sense even trying. I don't talk about my kitties with people I know don't share my love of animals. I still cry over every kitty that I have lost , no matter how many years have passed. I usually keep it to myself , though , as most people don't understand. I even know people that don't seem to understand why I still mourn my Mom's passing. She was my Mom! Just remain who you are! You have a caring heart , and I for one think that is terrific!
RIP Precious Kitty!
Your life mattered much more than you will ever know!
You were loved and will be missed by many!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Actually I stay away from people who do not understand that some of us love our pets . Whether it be a cat or a horse ! People like us get attached to our little friends .
Once I met an obnoxiously annoying person . Just casual greetings in the market. He watched me buying cat food and looked at me perplexed and sarcastically asked : " What do they do for you ? " I replied : " What do you do for anyone ? Never mind my cats ! "
This got rid of him - thankfully .
Sometimes people are just rude about pets and don't realize it. I feel a bit sorry for them .
Best wishes to you ... :wave3:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that you know they won't support you, just don't bring it up in their company. It IS a generational thing, animals don't mean much to that generation, many times they will change if they get an animal later in life, but most don't. It is too bad, when you care for someone, you support them when they need you. To dismiss your feelings is a slap in the face. I have actually mourned deeper and longer for the loss of an innocent, loving animal than I have for humans that I have known. Most of my relatives know how I feel about my animal companions, they send cards and call to see how I am doing now and it is appreciated because I know some of them don't feel the same. I stay away from people who don't support my feelings, at least until the initial deep mourning is controlled, i don't need more hurt to add on to what I already have. Tell your parents if they ask why you aren't in touch as much, that you are hurting and if they can't understand and support you you will find it with people who do., it hurts too much to hear the things they say. If you don't tell them they may never realize that they are hurting you, you never know, they may be a little more understanding.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much it hurts to lose someone you hold dear. You'll be blessed for opening your heart to that little boy and helping him find the home and the love he deserved, he thanks you for that.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you explain to people who just don't understand that a cat isn't just a pet, they're much more than that?
I dont bother trying to explain.

Unless they experience the love, affection, happiness, joy, deep connection, tender moments, wonderful memories (and the bad memories) and eventually the terrible painful loss, I dont think I could explain it to them. And I dont need to. Like others here, I just avoid people who dont understand, and appreciate those who do.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is one of those things that you could get very philosophical about. It would be easy to just say that people fall into ranges of caring or affection with psychopaths who love nothing at one end to people who can't even handle stepping on bugs on the other extreme. But it's not completely that way. There are other factors that enter into things. Some people can only handle so much pain and choose to block things out so they don't get bothered by tragedies. When a nursing home catches fire and burns up everyone inside some will just say, well they were old and at the end of their lives anyway. They don't want to think about it or make it their own pain. Something that a good writer or a good journalist learns to do is to make people feel like it's their own story, they get them emotionally involved because then they can get people to feel something. Unfortunately this overwhelms some people and burns them out. They get an emotional overload so they try not to care about every butterfly that dies or ever kitten that gets stepped on. They can only handle so much. Some people have a much greater capacity for emotions. We often call these big hearted people because they appear to have a much greater capacity for loving and feeling even when it hearts them greatly. They are not afraid of the pain and so they are not afraid to love. If you are a big hearted person don't be afraid of it, the world needs many more of you. Yes you will feel more pain than others do sometimes but that is because you are not afraid of loving something as small as a kitten, or a butterfly. In the end your life will be much richer than others because you will have a much greater understanding of what it means to be a person. In one of the shortest scriptures in the Bible it simply says "God is love".

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could say I haven't gotten this attitude before, but how do you explain to people who just don't understand that a cat isn't just a pet, they're much more than that?
I don't think you can. I think some people just have an abundance of empathy and can feel pain and sorrow for humans and animals alike, and there is no way to explain it or make someone who doesn't get it, understand. I've always been "big-hearted" and cry at both happy and sad things, regardless if it's a human or animal involved. Needless to say, just reading this thread has made me teary. :bawling:

Condolences on the loss of your dear shelter kitty. Nine years old is way to young to die, but at least he got to have a home and feel the love from his "new dad" for those few short months. RIP sweet kitty. :angel3:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are vets who don't understand either. I had a friend who was a freshly minted DVM at the time. When I told her my cat was ill and at the vet hospital being treated, she told me, "You take that damn cat to the vet too much". That hurt :sniffle: especially coming from a person who was a friend and a vet herself. What hurt even more and ended our friendship was her response when my cat died not long afterwards. Her response was complete silence. I later heard from a mutual friend that she had said it was just a damn cat and to get over it. It makes me wonder if she says similar things to her own grieving clients.

Don't let the lack of response or compassion from others bother you :grouphug: Some people just don't understand and may never will. You don't need to explain your feelings to anyone. There are pet grief support web sites and hotlines and even in person groups if you need a little support.

Pet Loss Support Hotline: Support Group Links

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all, ignore them and expect nothing from them. They are ignorant and have no understanding.
Secondly, pity them. Feel sorry for them that they have never had this kind of a relationship and this kind of real love, companionship and spiritual connection. I do not believe it is a generational thing. It is a personal capacity issue. It is most unfortunate that these folks are our relatives and friends. However we shouldn't fault them because they don't have the ability to love as we and our pets do. Surround yourself with folks who have this understanding and compassion. We are many.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, ignore them and expect nothing from them. They are ignorant and have no understanding.
Secondly, pity them. Feel sorry for them that they have never had this kind of a relationship and this kind of real love, companionship and spiritual connection. I do not believe it is a generational thing. It is a personal capacity issue. It is most unfortunate that these folks are our relatives and friends. However we shouldn't fault them because they don't have the ability to love as we and our pets do. Surround yourself with folks who have this understanding and compassion. We are many.
I mean i can kind of understand why. My mom is allergic and neither of them had a cat growing up. Plus i used to dislike cats up until a couple years ago because the cats i had met were aloof and standoffish. But when i started trying to understand cats and cat behavior i realized just how amazing they can be.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine who is a psychologist says he mourns animals more when they die than some humans, animals love is unconditional, so he feels the opposite of the "it's just a cat" people.
My husband says this all the time, i.e. he mourns our pets who have gone to the Bridge more than some people.

In my personal experience, I found that many people including close friends/relatives felt badly when our dog died but didn't blink an eye when any of our cats passed away. This lack of compassion is unacceptable and deeply hurts so I have to speak up and say something. Even if they don't understand I'd like to think at least one person will think twice the next time. Unlike others have expressed, I feel you should try to explain to your parents that this is part of who you are and what you feel, therefore, they should respect your feelings even if they don't agree. Obviously you are a very charitable and warmhearted person. I commend your determination and perseverance at the shelter. :hugs: My sincere sympathies for the loss of one of your favorite shelter kitties. :angel:

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Plus i used to dislike cats up until a couple years ago because the cats i had met were aloof and standoffish.
I hear this all the time, and explain when I do that cats are not so much aloof and standoffish as they are cautious and slow to love or trust. But once they are sure of you, and that love and trust is given, OH, you have a friend indeed!

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel pity for those people.

Imagine how less rich and Wonderous life would be if you went through it without knowing the intensity of the bond you can share with an animal. How sad for them that they will never experience the joy of having your cat looking at you with love and knowing you earned their trust. The agonies of losing our cats is outweighed by the love of knowing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smh. Some people just don’t understand. I came home today to my amazon prime packages of mouse toys, twine, and craft rods. Making cat toys for the shelter cats. Why? Because i know they’re probably so bored in their cages all day so if i can make them a toy they can play with, it’ll be less difficult for them and they may even get adopted faster.

Came home and my dad was pissed about how I’m “throwing away” my money on these shelter cats that aren’t even mine. I make good money. $80,000 and am saving to buy a condo. But they just don’t get it and see me buying and making things for the cats as wasting money “because they’re just cats” and it’s “sad” when people are surrounded by cats.

I’ve been pretty lucky to have good supporting parents but this attitude they have towards animals has really driven a wedge between us the past couple years. I’ve tried to introduce them to some animals or share pictures with them but they’re never interested. So i spend more time at the shelter and don’t talk to them much when i get home because i know they don’t care about the animals. Then they ask me why we’ve grown apart.... and then things have just been getting worse from there.