How do you deal with little frustrations piling up?

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the years- mostly through painful experience- I have learned to not dwell on frustrations. It's bad for the blood pressure, it seems. There are many things that I simply cannot do any more that used to be so easy, but I just focus on those things that I still can do, and hire somebody to do the rest, or maybe I just take longer to do them than when I was younger. There is yard work waiting on me as well, but with this heat and humidity? Nah, I'm not going to make Michele call 9-1-1 because I've keeled over in one of the flower beds. Life is too short as it is.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
N NY cat man Excellent post. posiepurrs posiepurrs Do what you can and let it go. Seriously, just let it go. Ask yourself: Is this worth me getting frustrated over? Chances are, it's not. And what you don't get done today, do tomorrow. Or the next day. It took me a long time to figure that out, too. Tasks are still there.

And really, with this heat and humidity, it's better to let some things go until the weather does cool down a bit. Rick and I worked in the morning and at night, once areas in the yard turned shady. Yeah, there were days when we just worked in the heat, but it took a lot out of us, too.

You know, I'm one of those rare people who actually enjoy housework. And when I was younger, I could rip through the house and get pretty much everything done in one day. And then make a good dinner. Move furniture in the living room? Sure! Take the bed apart? Yepper, I can do it! Wash the living room walls down? Just watch me! Those days are gone. I can't do it all anymore and I'm not going to have a heart attack to try to prove that I can. I have a bad back and I need to be careful. It took me years to figure that out.

And I get that maybe if it was just one or two things that frustrated you that's one thing. But eventually it can all pile up. I know you have an ill husband, so possibly a lot of things are on you now. I'm really sorry. But that's all the more reason to do what you can and let the rest go for another time. And remember that you really do need to take some time out for YOU! You are important. So take a few minutes out here and there during your day that are just for you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some days I'm better at "not sweating the small stuff" than others. But there are times when those little frustrations feel big if they follow a series of big things or lots of little things just keep piling up and I haven't been able to take care of them.
I don't really have a secret as to how I handle those little things or why I seem to be able to let some things go and not others. But I always try to have perspective. Like is it really THAT bad?...and No it's usually not.

I read this book once and it was really good. It's called Don't Sweat the Small Stuff....And it's All Small Stuff. By: Richard Carlson.
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's All Small Stuff: Simple Ways To Keep The Little Things From Taking Over Your Life eBook: Carlson, Richard: Amazon.ca: Kindle Store
I've actually been meaning to get my own copy of it sometime...just haven't gotten around to it yet.
It's not a book meant to trivialize when bad things happen, but at the same time gives perspective on your own expectations. It's a really easy read too, not a big text book with a bunch of psychology jargon, nor would I consider it a "self help" book either. I'm really not into those self help books that require a lot of "work" and journaling and set times for meditation and "reflection", blah blah....I'll admit I'm lazy about stuff like that and don't always follow thru, and that kind of thing just doesn't work for me. So I thought this book was very insightful without being "preachy".

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Hard to get it in these times but usually hard exercise gets my stress level down. But when I can’t doing something creative helps a lot. I have a wood working area in my basement where I can build things or renovate furniture and I can get totally lost in the process. I also find that putting things in order, like straightening or organizing a closet or tool area helps me feel better.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This may sound silly but coffee always makes me feel better. ☕ I like to sit down and relax when I have a cup of coffee. Then I can think about what's bothering me and how to deal with it or whether to let it be. Another trick I've learned is to wait 24 hours before getting upset or frustrated because usually by the next day it doesn't seem as important anymore. An acquaintance once told me when you get agitated about something ask yourself - is this a B.S. problem or real problem? I've found that really helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My frustrations just seemed to pile up yesterday. Hubby had a very bad day ( sometimes he doesn’t even remember that we are married), our shed door needs to be repaired, I can’t find the string to replace the string on the weed whacker which needs to be done, and I realized I probably will never be able to show the cats again both due to illness and expense. Showing isn’t a cheap hobby. I cleaned to deal with it- didn’t help.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Meditations and power lifting. At least that's how I used to but Mom almost needs me 24/7 so I have to be in a position to listen for her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry. You have a lot on your plate, and it sure isn’t little stuff. I know it is the least of your challenges, but If I may offer a suggestion on the weed wacker string. Take a look to see what model you have and do a google search for [yourmodel] string. That should tell you the thickness of the string you need, like .065. It will also tell you if you can buy it pre spooled or if you have to wind it yourself. Armed with that info you should be able to pick it up at a hardware or order it online.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry. You have a lot on your plate, and it sure isn’t little stuff. I know it is the least of your challenges, but If I may offer a suggestion on the weed wacker string. Take a look to see what model you have and do a google search for [yourmodel] string. That should tell you the thickness of the string you need, like .065. It will also tell you if you can buy it pre spooled or if you have to wind it yourself. Armed with that info you should be able to pick it up at a hardware or order it online.
When I bought I got got an extra spool of line made for that model. Just have to remember where I put it and figure out how to put it on.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Hubby had a very bad day ( sometimes he doesn’t even remember that we are married), our shed door needs to be repaired, I can’t find the string to replace the string on the weed whacker which needs to be done, and I realized I probably will never be able to show the cats again both due to illness and expense. Showing isn’t a cheap hobby.
I'm so terribly sorry, you definitely have more than enough going on to be frustrated. Sending group hugs and special thoughts. :grouphug: