How do you cut an opening in a Steralite bin?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know I've seen several posts of Steralite bins used as large litter boxes, but in doing a search just now, I'm not finding those posts. Anyway, today I bought one because Stinkpot throws litter all over the place, and I figure the higher the walls, the better. My only issue now is how to cut a "walkway" at one end of the bin so they can enter and exit. The plastic is very hard, and I just don't know how to "attack" this project. I definitely want to have an entrance, because Sven is pretty old and I don't want him to have to jump in with his arthritic hips, although currently one litter box is in the bathtub, and he manages that one ok. Do you folks who use these Steralite bins just use them as is, or have you cut out areas in them? I guess I could just try it as is and see who uses it.

Oh, and I'm not talking about cutting a hole in the lid like Parsleysage (I think it was) did. I won't be using the lid on mine.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was trying to find a thread started by skippymjp about how he did it, but I could not find the exact thread, bit I did find a thread where he mentioned that this is what he used to cut through plastic.....

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hca/hcahcar0770.htm

You may want to PM him and get the specifics... I think after you use the hot knife to cut then you sand it down some so it will be nice and smooth.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add - I have cut the hole either on the end, and in others - on the side. I find they like the hole cut at the end as in the pic I posted previously.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do the same as Gloria JH. I measure 5 inches from the bottom and cut up to the handle (as wide as the handle). I used to heat a knife on the stove burner and use that to cut through the plastic, but the fumes got to me
. Now I use a box cutter. . .I hate sharp things but I'm really careful and have managed so far not to hurt myself. A friend uses the same Sterilite totes and doesn't cut a hole at all. I tried it, and it's nice not to have them able to kick any litter out, but the way I scoop my litterboxes (dumping them into a sifting box), it's hard to hold onto the box without having the opening. And if you have an arthritic kitty it's best to have a doorway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, I never even thought about just cutting out a hole in the end...I was thinking that I needed to cut out an actual doorway, but think the hole might be easier so I wouldn't have to cut thru the lip of the bin. Unfortunately, I DO have the clear bin...couldn't find the colored ones. They were on sale at Target and I think all the colored ones were already gone. Thanks for these ideas.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The clear ones aren't usually as tall as the colored ones. If it's not too tall, a doorway may not be necessary (or possible). And, yeah, the clear ones are a lot harder to cut without cracking them. I think a hot knife would work better than a box cutter.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a hot knife (heated on the stove) to make holes in plastic bins, but be very careful!