How Do You Change Closed Minds?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
   My question is how do you negotiate (and inform) with a city council to try TNR? I think the biggest problem is finding a vet to perform the sterilizations.None are willing to give a 'volume discount'. Should the shelter advertise for one? That is one of the major drawbacks she says. We have a huge advocate at the shelter now, and I heard that she is 'talking' with them about it, but so far they still poison, and trap and destroy. They even passed a law that no 'feral' animals can be fed. (I guess I have a large number of pretty wild cats as my pets!) They even wanted to license cats for 50.00 and make it illegal for them to leave a person's property! Needless to say there was such a public outcry THAT was dropped! Do we need to educate the whole town on TNR and have everyone write the city? Thanks for any help you can give, and bless you for being a voice for the ferals!

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I'm so glad that you are ready and willing to advocate for cats in your community, in addition to caring for them!  Last, year, Alley Cat Allies released an advocacy toolkit for people who are interested in improving the laws and policies for cats in their community.  You can read it in full here - Advocacy Toolkit.

In a nutshell, the best way to make an impact is by reaching out to city officials to explain your point of view, and to continue building those good relationships with other advocates and shelter staff in your community.  You can:

1. Send personalized emails or letters to legislators.

2. Schedule a face-to-face meeting.

3. Testify at a council meeting if feral/community cats or TNR is currently being debated.

4. Submit a written comment to the council if feral/community cats or TNR is currently being debated.

Be prepared to knowledgeable discuss the issues!  You might want to prepare for any meetings with an outline.  Be sure to use statistics and scientific studies about TNR.  This is a great summary of the key scientific studies - "Trap-Neuter-Return Effectively Stabilizes and Reduces Feral Cat Populations."  You could also come prepared with Fact Sheets that are tailored to address potential specific concerns.  For example, we have fact sheets explaining the 'Case for TNR,' feral cat health, public health, and more.

Finally, consider appealing to the council's financial concerns. Trapping and killing cats has gone on for far too long, with no results, and at great expense to taxpayers.  TNR is a cost-effective way for local governments to actually effectively - and humanely - address the feral cat population.

Finding veterinarians to perform TNR can sometimes be tough.  You might want to check out our Feral Friends Network that lists veterinarians who have expressed interest in working with feral cats and people conducting TNR.  We also have a Feral Cat Veterinary Resource Center that could be helpful, too!

-Amanda