How Do We Prevent Chronic Kidney Failure?

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How Do we PREVENT Chronic Kidney Failure? Is it the food? Is it what? Do I blame myself for this? Why do so many cats get this disease? Are some breeds more prone to it than others? My cat has it, and I am not sure what her future holds. She is end stage. I will know more tomorrow...This is a BRUTAL disease to say the least!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for one thing I believe kidney disease is over diagnosed. There are young cats eating species appropriate, moisture rich high protein foods getting diagnosed with it due to higher creatinine. But the basis of comparison was established by cats eating poor quality dry foods.

And decrease of kidney function is normal for aging cats. Their conditions are exacerbated with foods that are too high in phosphorus. The pet food industry isn’t perfect. As of now there isn’t a way to prevent the disease since we cannot stop our cats from aging. But you can help them out by feeding them lower phosphorus wet foods once they reach middle age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my question. Should we feed our cats a low phosphorus diet after they are a year old? Start them young? Get them used to the “kidney diet “. So they don’t develop this disease? I don’t know a lot about this, only that it’s common, and what it’s done to my poor cat. I feel privileged to have a forum of knowledgeable people who can give insight to this.:rock:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your kitty? Don’t blame yourself. Most outdoor cats don’t last long but with our care they live longer and show more disease.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think feeding them a lower phosphorus diet can be done at middle age. But there’s nothing wrong with starting early. I do try to average out a lower phosphorus level. The foods range from 1-2% dry matter basis. Mostly 1-1.5%. Keep in mind this will still not prevent the disease. We will just not be making it worse! However, I got a tip from a vet once. She told me to feed 300mg of combined epa and dha (omega 3 fish oil) per day per cat regardless of kidney status. She said kidney disease is inflammatory and fish oil is anti-inflammatory. She mentioned that there was a study done and kidney cats who were on omega 3 fish oil lived longer. I took her tip to heart and give all my cats omega 3. It’s good for them anyways.

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is between 11 and 14. She is an indoor kitty. :silver:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, kidney disease can't be prevented. It's a condition that derives mainly from aging, as kittyluv387 kittyluv387 has correctly said.
Sometimes it can be brought in by an infection of the urinary tract, even a cystitis. The infection can crawl back up to the kidney and lead to an Acute Kidney Disease. In most cases it resolves on its own at the end of the infection when cured with the right antibiotics. In other cases it can turn into a Chronic Kidney Disease.
If the latter occurs at a very young age, the cat will be affected with CKD since an early age.

Giving the cat a "renal" food from the beginning shouldn't help much.

My cat was prone to cystitis. I don't if this was the cause, but she was diagnosed with a CKD at the age of 5-6 years, and lived to 17 years of age. She died to something else.
I'm sure that a very early diagnose and correct and pro-active approach to the disease, can give the cat many years to live.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A wet diet that is species appropriate can help with many issues but I don't know that it is a complete preventive. It is also a combination of genetics and age. As they get older the body begins wearing out, just as things begin wearing out in humans. I think one reason we are seeing it more is that our cats are living longer. I am 62 and when I was a child cats were rarely taken to a vet but responsible cat guardians now get regular vet care. With advancing age we see more of things like CKD.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above. Twenty years ago cats rarely lived to 14-15, they were considered very old and comparable to cats now that live to be twenty. EVERY living organism will die from something if they live long enough and don't die through accidents. I still venture to say an average lifespan of a cat even today is 15-16, sure some die younger and some die older. My older cat was diagnosed with failing kidneys at 13. He lived to 16 and died from intestinal cancer. I upped his water intake by encouraging him to drink with little cups of water set around the house and a water fountain. I did watch what foods he aet, but he LOVED his dry and absolutely refused urinary care dry. So i got him one with the best ingredients and lower potassium and phosphorus. Most cancers and diseases come with advanced age, just be thankful your little one has had as many years as she has had with you, I'm sure she feels very loved and cared for and that is what counts, no matter how many years have gone by. Just do what you can and love her, that is what matters....

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Quick question! I often hear about low phosphorus food, but what is low phosphorus? I haven't been able to discover a number that is low or high. Same when people talk about a lot of numeric values for cat food. Low fat, low protein, low carb. Is there a chart somewhere with what constitutes low or high values? I'm not looking for a list of food, I mean actual numbers so I can look at any food any time and see if it is low this or low that. Thanks

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quick question! I often hear about low phosphorus food, but what is low phosphorus? I haven't been able to discover a number that is low or high. Same when people talk about a lot of numeric values for cat food. Low fat, low protein, low carb. Is there a chart somewhere with what constitutes low or high values? I'm not looking for a list of food, I mean actual numbers so I can look at any food any time and see if it is low this or low that. Thanks
Per Dr. Pierson at catinfo.org she recommends staying at 300mg of phosphorus per 100 kcal for regular cats. I’ve noticed this tends to be approximately 1.6% dry matter basis. Most companies don’t advertise how much is in their foods so you have to email and/or call them. If your cat truly has kidney disease, lower the better. Staying at around 1% would be a good idea.

Here’s a list:
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA

Note that good newer canned foods may not be on there. It’s important to do your own homework when it comes to cat nutrition.

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a lot to learn, yet sometimes info can be confusing . I stopped painting my nails when my cat was diagnosed, fearing those fumes brought on her CKD. I didn't read anything about it , yet I felt it might be wise. It's a small thing to do, to make one less toxin in her environment. I blame myself for this. Just as I blame myself for my late little boy's Congenital heart defect and passing. It's a huge burden to have on my shoulders, yet I'm "supposed " to protect them. :(

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of things are out of our control. Sometimes we may not know about things that we should. But we try our best for our cats and we learn and try to do even better. Please don’t beat yourself up. You obviously love your cats very much and I’m sure they know that. I know you wish there was a way to prevent illnesses but there isn’t. All we can do is cherish the time we have with them and do our best to love and take care of them.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a lot to learn, yet sometimes info can be confusing . I stopped painting my nails when my cat was diagnosed, fearing those fumes brought on her CKD. I didn't read anything about it , yet I felt it might be wise.
I am carrying the burden, the guilt, for making my cats sick while I was thinking I was doing the best for their health.
I'm sure my cat Lola got an oral cancer because I had been wiping and cleaning her coat with those pet wipes when she was so weak that she couldn't go to the litter tray and would do everything in her bed...
And I'm sure my cat Pallina got hyperthyroidism because I used to protect her white ears with sun cream every summer, and she would lick it off with her paws.

I hope they will forgive me.

We don't know what is the best for them, and sometimes we do the wrong thing in good faith.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I think sometimes we need to remind ourselves that there are many uncontrollable factors (genetic, environmental, commercial) that can contribute to any kind of illness, be it Kidney, Heart, Liver, the big C, etc.,.

Also, many of these illnesses are simply brought on by age, and unfortunately our fur-panions just don't live that long on average.

We can only do the best we know, and sometimes we don't know... heck we simply can't know every possible factor we might be running up against. Even a lot of vets don't know everything (and I run from those who act like they do).

I've come to realize that there are just too many things for my brain to process, so I do the best I can. When I come up against something, I look into it (which is already more than some do) and consult with my vet (by asking lots of questions! lol). Then I deal with it.

Beyond that, I just focus on loving the little monsters for as long as they manage to hang around with me, be it 5 or 20 years.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat with CKD. She is 15 and was diagnosed about a year ago. She is still in an earlier stage and is maintaining with prescription food but I know it is progressive. I wish she didn't have it. I wish she was one of the lucky ones that lived to 20 with no chronic issues then passed peacefully in her sleep but I know that is the exception not the rule. We do the best we know to do then let go when we know it is time.

burrgandy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat passed away early Wednesday morning . I'm shattered. She was my best friend. I'm lost without her. I HATE CKD! !! Now, to learn what I can , and not sure what to do next? She deserved better. After losing a child, it killed me trying to decide to take her to the vet, knowing what they were going to tell me to do. . I had to make the decision not to recessitate my little boy , which still haunts me. Sash was with me, when no one else was . Now.. .I'm lost. :(:(:(

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, first of all, I wanted to say DON'T blame yourself! Kidney disease is a condition that cats can develop no matter what. I've been through that roller coaster a few times with my mom's cats. The first time, we didn't realize Lucky was sick until he had a kidney crash. The second time, it was caught super early in Charlie with a routine blood test.

I don't necessarily believe that a specific diet is to blame, or can help with it. I do like to think that "higher quality" foods can help, not just with kidney disease but other chronic conditions.

Charlie has been on this liquid medication called Semintra for about 5 years now. It appears to have really slowed his progression with the disease, but it is catching up to him now. (He's 18). Low phosphorus foods can help, but unfortunately, it seems like a lot of cats don't really want to eat them. With both cats, we tried to make sure they were happy, eating as much as the healthily could, and having a good quality of life.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat passed away early Wednesday morning . I'm shattered. She was my best friend. I'm lost without her. I HATE CKD! !! Now, to learn what I can , and not sure what to do next? She deserved better. After losing a child, it killed me trying to decide to take her to the vet, knowing what they were going to tell me to do. . I had to make the decision not to recessitate my little boy , which still haunts me. Sash was with me, when no one else was . Now.. .I'm lost. :(:(:(
I am so so sorry to hear that. But she’s at a better place now free of pain. Give yourself time.