How do vet visits for multiple sick cats work?

Jpapurrelis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a new kitten last month, and recently he and my other cat (who immediately took to him and grooms him and such) have been coughing and sniffling and wheezing and all around showing signs of what could possibly be feline herpes (eye goop and all). My older cat has it and while she likes the kitten, I imagine it’s still stressful enough for her to have triggered a flare up and with it being contagious im not overly shocked that the kitten is showing signs too.
Im wondering how a vet visit to get this treated would work- the kitten has an appointment next week for boosters and to see/confirm what’s wrong and I unfortunately cannot carry both of them to see the vet at the same time (I walk there). I can’t imagine treating them one at a time instead of in tandem would be super effective. Has anyone else’s vet ever prescribed medication for multiple cats when they’d all show symptoms despite having only seen one of them? I figure it’s at the vet’s discretion of course but knowing if this is a thing that vets have been known to do will help me plan ahead.
thanks!!

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! I am glad you registered. What are the names of your cats?

Someone nearby should be willing to drive two sick cats and you to the vet

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took two of our cats to the veterinarian yesterday. Flapjack went for a recheck after having four teeth pulled a couple of weeks ago, and Pennie, unfortunately, has a urinary tract infection. I have a cat stroller, because my little guy Montgomery comes with me just about everywhere, so Flapjack went in the stroller and Pennie, who has no social skills, went in a backpack-style cat carrier. Smooth sailing, no trouble at all. If you have a friend with a child's wagon that you can borrow, you may be able to get everyone to the clinic at once. Conversely, you could explain to your veterinarian that both cats are exhibiting the same symptoms and they may be able to do something for your older cat as well, without you having to drag them in. I guess it depends on your relationship with the clinic.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are wheeled pet carriers you can buy. I have a soft sided one for one of my cats.

Another idea is to use a small luggage type cart or dolly to transport more than one carrier to the vet. Or maybe even one of those foldable metal personal shopping carts.

Or use a pet stroller or pet backpack for one of the cats which leaves a hand free for a regular carrier

Is asking a neighbor or friend etc to help carry a carrier an option?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Many people around here use cat strollers and backpacks. My dog's vet is in a residential neighborhood and it is really common to see the cat strollers coming into that office.

Depending on the relationship that you have with your vet, you might be able to get treatment for the second cat based on your description of the problem. I had a huge URI outbreak years ago after rescuing a kitten who was treated and cleared, Ironically, and my vet did allow me to have the meds for the ones at home as well.