How do I teach my cat to stop opening doors?

bravetoreador

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, first off, I'm not in a great living situation. My room mate and I used to be friends, but a rift has been growing and now she's latched on to my cat's behavior as a way to get back at me, because she's passive aggressive like that. But I don't have anywhere else to go, so I need to figure out a way to correct the behaviors that are bothering her, and quickly.

Percy is a great cat, very friendly and smart. Maybe too smart, as he's figured out how to open doors. I trained him to tap on door knobs when he wanted to go out, because I wanted him to stop jumping on my room mate's desk and yowling instead. But rather than just tapping to signal, he's figured out how to jump up and work the knobs himself, both my bedroom door and the outside door when he wants in. He can only open that one from the outside thankfully, but his clawing has messed up the seal on the outside door and scratched up the doorframe in the bedroom. I have to keep him in the bedroom with me at night, because we have a third room mate who works very late and sleeps on the couch and we don't want him waking her up jumping at the outside door or fighting with the other cat, and that means I get woken up three or four times a night to pull him off the bedroom door. What really bothers my room mate is that when I'm out spending the night at my boyfriend's, she can just lock him in the bedroom and forget about him like she wants to, because he just breaks out. Before you ask, he has a litterbox in the bedroom, and I have him on scheduled feedings.Or I try too, anyway. The room mate keeps sabotaging my efforts by putting huge amounts of food in the cat bowl every time she catches her cat eating the dog food. 

So, as you can see, it's a difficult situation. Does anyone have any training tips for convincing Percy to stay in the room he's put in so that he and the room mate can get along? If you have any tips for dealing with the room mate those would be great  too, 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to get those door handle covers they use to keep kids from opening doors.  They slip and slide around the original door handle unless you have enough hand strength to squeeze them.  Percy will be frustrated by them so he may go back t howling, but at least he will not be able to open the door.  This works for everything except raccoons, who have strong hands.

Here is an example:

https://jet.com/product/product/78e...W536O31TTsRA2_ZyBdDu9DmdEEJeBTMk5ZRoC6Tfw_wcB

http://www.iherb.com/Munchkin-Safet...2x7ztMSLaZTnMCWwwXrtomIvbbMk0C5e2FhoCXVjw_wcB

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
i agree with door knob covers.  I have 2 styles in my house; either would work for a cat (I hope!) and they are relatively inexpensive.  The downside is they do make noise on the handle.  So if he learns to bat at it so the noise gets your attention; well we might need a plan b to dampen that noise!  But I'd start with just knob covers and hope they work!  You should be able to find them in the baby section at any Walmart, Target, etc.  Online also of course.  

Good luck!