how do i teach my cat to stay off/away from certain furniture

ceresc21

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in an apartment and my dresser is a sort of ikea style shelves with storage cubes. My cat likes to try and sit in the cubes or pull them down and scatter my belongings all over the floor. I don't know how to discourage him from getting into the cubes. He also likes to try and open the bathroom cabinet at night and it makes a constant loud banging noise. I don't know how to teach him to stay away from it. He only does this at night too, when I'm trying to go to bed. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try keeping him out of the bedroom - that way he wouldn't be able to get into things. It's also important to give him a good play session before bed, followed by a meaty treat/snack. That way, he'll be far more likely to sleep when you do.
[article="22407"][/article]
[article="22303"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="32827"][/article]

artyjill

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a new leather sofa so was hoping she didn't scratch it. The only thing l had was a calming  spray which didn't calm her at all so l thought l would spray it with Feliway just the sides and arms and it worked and would use it every time. I told a friend about it working as her cat was going mad on her sofa and it worked  for her. You could also use it as a calming spray as  I maybe didn't use enough maybe.

Jill