How Do I Teach My Cat To Be Confined?

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is 13 and has never been confined in any significant way. Once when he was a kitten he got the door shut in the bathroom while I was at work and seemed annoyed, however, I can't give any other reason for it. I suspect it is a natural genetic thing. As when I was picking him out he yowled to get out of the cage.

So he will have to be confined soon (for a vet visit). He is getting medication that could make him fall on stairs. So I bought a gate to keep him from the stairs and he will not rest until that gate is gone. SO much so that he smashes his head against it - over and over again - until I open it.

Ok sure maybe when he gets the medication he won't care about the gate but I also was hoping to use it to get a little me time (painting the house etc.)

He is getting older so he will need to be confined soon. How can I make him learn to love the gate?

Thoughts?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't think loving that gate will happen, but what if you draped a cloth over it so he can't see through it?

For actual confinement, what about trying some clicker training, treats and lots of love and patience, and brief times in a big dog pen. Make the whole thing as enjoyable for him as possible :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is even worse when he can't see. Plus the gate is on the stairs so he can just go look at the stairs. But I will try it. I have a can with coins that I have successfully trained him with in my bedroom (when he wants me to wake up and he is bothering me, I shake the can and he stops) so I think I will use that here too. He knows it means, stop it.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no.. I locked him in... because I am going to have a contractor come... unfortunately, within a minute he was walking around normally... he jumped down between the slats on the stairs. Ugh.. got to find a new place for the gate.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I moved the gate but he got too anxious and was trying to squeeze though the spindles and I thought he was going to hurt himself. I had no choice but to put him in the master bedroom (with room to walk around in the bathroom) and he scratched at the door the entire 4 hours.