How Do I Stop Him??????

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From running out the door every time we open it?? And I mean every time we open the door he (Prince) is out. What can I do to stop him?

We have been putting him in another room and locking him in until we come back in or someone will hold him while the other goes outside. It is getting quiet annoying to know that every time the door is open just for a split second, he is gone. Quiet frankly, I am getting tired of chasing him down. He has no road sense and I am afraid he will go to the road and get killed. It's almost like he is watching and waiting for that door to open. For instance, last night, my DH went out the storage building and opened the door, and Prince almost tripped him getting out the door before he did. DH stumbled down the steps and almost fell. Of course, he was ratting and raving about it!!

Please any comments or suggestions are welcomed!! We are at our wits end!!

Thanks,
Paula

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
what kind of things does he dislike - water, loud noises, etc?
i've heard of using a soda can with some pennies in it [taped shut] as a shaker for an inexpensive noise deterrent.
& while some don't approve, i use a water bottle - none of mine like water. i rarely have to squirt them anymore - i just shake the bottle & they stop the behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

what kind of things does he dislike - water, loud noises, etc?
i've heard of using a soda can with some pennies in it [taped shut] as a shaker for an inexpensive noise deterrent.
& while some don't approve, i use a water bottle - none of mine like water. i rarely have to squirt them anymore - i just shake the bottle & they stop the behavior.
Loves water, every time he hears the water on he comes running and jumps on the counter, or where ever the water is running. DH has splashed him in the face w/water and it does not faze him at all!! Coke can, tried it, don't work, I had one setting on the back step and I would shake it every time I was ready to enter the door and I would just crack the door enough to see, and there he would be!! Darnedest thing I've ever seen!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're aware (duh :-) of the problem, so what's stopping everyone from being extra careful, e.g. if someone's going out and someone isn't, could the person left behind hang onto the cat til the first one's outside? Could you all learn to be very careful (the habit grows fast) about when you go out (or come in) to open the door but only wide enough for one leg at a time, and keeping a hand down to keep the cat in? I've had a trillion cats over that many years, and we're all just very careful when the cats are young - it takes a little practice, but it's not rocket science.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What about a child guard, put i by the door so that they are blocked from getting out, obviously don't leave the door open as they would soon jump over it, but it would give you time coming in and out.
otherwise I have to agree with Larke, its just about being a bit super careful until they get used to it!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just used to say NO, BACK in a loud voice, that was enough to stop them allowing me to get out the door. When coming home, the same thing.

Now, when they are sitting at the screen door watching me in the garden, I just say back and they all take a step back allowing me to enter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To Larke: yes, we are quiet aware of the problem. And yes, we are hanging onto to him while the other one goes outside or if we are coming in, we only open it enough to see if he is there!! And I always put my hand down to catch him before he runs out!!

To Althekitty: A child guard would not work, I thought of that, but the opening between my dining room and kitchen is too wide for one. It is not like we are leaving the door wide open for him.

I think we have tried obviously everything that has been suggested thus far!! Even the loud voice does not work!!

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I think my note must have come across as sarcastic, but that wasn't meant at all - I think I was trying to be funny, but please forgive if the impression was wrong. It will take some time, and sometimes rolling a toy away from the door for him to chase could give you a minute to leave - hope it all works out.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Find a way to make him fear the door. Maybe when you see him at the door, sneak out another door and at the door he is at, bang really hard to make him afraid of the door. Perhaps do that just before you are entering the door, too. Maybe try the bitter apple on the door and on the floor around the door, to deter him away?

Maybe those matts that have the plastic spikes underneath that people turn over spike side up, so the cat want walk in certain areas?

Maybe a combination of the above things. Im just grasping for ideas right now, I hope you find something, that would make me uneasy, too.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one like that. I call him door stop because he is always in front of the door waiting to get out. What I have to do is affectionatly known as the kitty door dance. When I am going out I have to slide kitty away from the door, kinda hold him back with my leg, slide through this little crack and then quickly shut the door. Coming in I put my key in the lock, unlock but don't open the door. I bend over with one hand on the knob and another ready to catch kitty as he tries to get out lol. If I have grocery bags I put the bags at kitty height to deter him. Another thing I have done is put aluminum foil near the door with double sided sticky tape on it. It doesn't stop him but slows him down a bit when he hits it as it confuses him when he crinkles and sticks to the foil. This is mostly used when company is coming and they don't know the kitty dance.