How Do I Preserve Fresh Cat Nip?

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was given a good sized quantity of fresh catnip. I want to give a little to the boys (cats), at a time.

I could just let it dry naturally over a few weeks and then grind it up and put it in a bag. But is there a better way?

20180916_095931.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! ...I'm not sure, --I know that when I freeze my fresh parsley it's all kind of soft and gushy after it's thawed. In my case that's fine since I just add it to the frypan with other veggies...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, looks to basically what I thought.

I will start drying it today. Will also be planting it in the boys yard. Since our prime minister is promoting marijuana use, its ok for the cats to be high as well.
Well, it was ALWAYS ok for the cats to be high :lol:, but I hear you :wink:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to grow enough cat nip to take for all of our cat club members at our show. It was a substantial amount! My husband teased me that we had better not have to have the furnace worked on while it was drying because they may think I was drying pot!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I grow catnip for my cats, and just bundle it up and hang it upside down until dry (in a room that cats can't get to). Once dry I crush it up and use a glass jar to store it, it seals in the smell better.

One word of caution when growing catnip in your yard, it spreads everywhere if you let it. I originally planted it in a 2'x2' wooden box, it now grows there, as well as next to it, and I have some on all 4 sides of the house. The cats roll in the catnip, get seeds on them, and then deposit them around as they walk around. I don't mind, it's a natural mouse and mosquito repellent, but if you care it's something to keep in mind, cut the seed head off before they drop seeds.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't tried this for catnip but I freeze my parsley, basil, oregano & lemon balm by harvesting in early am before the sun shines on it, rinse well then air dry inside. Once dry, chop and coat lightly with olive oil and then freeze. I store in plastic bags but if I had more freezer space, I would use canning jars. The result is herbs that taste almost fresh & if you are using for medicinal preparations, use dosages for fresh (typically it is 1tablespoon of fresh vs 1 teaspoon dried).