How do I not give in to my begging cat?

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get my cat to lose weight, I have reduced his calorie intake by a very small amount (10% maybe not even) and even that small amount he is pestering me for food. I eventually give in after a few days of this I can't stand seeing him miserable like that. But, I know I'm also not helping.

How long does it take for a cat stomach to adjust to less food so that he stops begging and looking so sad? How do I toughen up?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you switch from dry to moist food? More volume for the calories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Serenityinaz12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you switch from dry to moist food? More volume for the calories.
I tried doing that and he was begging for his dry food. I don't know if I switched fully to wet if over time he would eventually just accept and get used to that?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He is going to feel fuller longer on the wet food. I would set out wet, remove dry and wait until next feeding time for him to eat it. If he doesn’t then give him dry and keep repeating this.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After a couple hours, wet food oxidizes, like an apple browning. Its perfectly safe to eat, but they don't like to do so. I believe the browning blocks or changes the smell of the food. So what I sometimes do to avoid wasting food is I sprinkle a tiny amount of dry food on top of the browning moist food, add a tiny spray of water, and stir the food up. This makes the smell pop - even my nose can tell - and they immediately dive in. This could be useful to you during the transition period where the cat is hoping that dry food will magically appear in the bowl and not immediately eating the moist food.