How do I move my mother cat and her kittens to a new spot and when/how is it best to check gender?

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My beautiful cat had a beautiful litter of 3 kittens! We did not think she was due for a few more days and were supposed to move her to another area for the birth. Instead she surprised us with her litter. We tried moving her and the kittens twice but both times she tried to move them back to the original spot. Where she is now will be quite high risk once the kittens manage to get out of their box.

Also, when and how will it be best to check the gender of the kittens?

They are almost 3 weeks old already and are just adorable.

Last edited:

shunra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not easy to tell the gender at this age.  She might want to move them once they are getting out of the box, otherwise you will have to put them in a room with a closed door and no-where dangerous for her to put them.  Give her a choice of nests in it.

Don't let your cat out until she is spayed, she will get pregnant again quite quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Shunra! Thanks for the response! 

Just tried it again a few minutes ago and she tried moving them back AGAIN... and now while typing this she walked into the kitchen carrying one... Don't know whats got into her today.

I really need to get her spayed 
 but with the kittens there is definitely a cuteness overload at our house! 

mogfoster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah yes, the moving den shenanigans!  With last year's moggy, I foolishly let her explore kitchen cupboards (I was a novice).  She got into the one under the sink, pushed the back, through that, and under the darn cupboard!   I was sure she was stuck, but a few minutes later, she wriggled her way out, and left the room.  Then, later that night, she marched into the kitchen again, carrying one of her week old babies, plopped him on the floor and demanded that I open the cupoard.  I discovered it was possible to argue with a cat.  And win - but she insisted on carrying the baby  back to the "proper" den, I wasn't allowed.  I had two dens set up for her to (I hoped) cover this eventuality, and it wasn't until they were nearly three weeks old that she did move them into that den.  They were allowed to begin to explore a little bit further each day from that one.  Then at nearly five weeks, the little gang of five decided to find their own snoozing spot - under the desk, behind the computer cpu.  Neither their mother or I could dislodge them from this spot for the next rew days, until they decided on their next place.  Once they could scramble up, they picked an easy chair with cushions.  When their mother allowed them out of the living room, they chose kitchen chairs, then a shelf I had to clear off.  Probably a good job  I live alone!

When I did it this year, I made sure not to open floor level cupboards when the cat was in the kitchen.  So, when she had five kittens two weeks after arriving, they stayed happily in the de-luxe den for three whole weeks.  However, this mamacat showed no interest in the secondary den at all.  Instead, I noticed she was seemingly measuring up for carpets and curtains an empty shelf of the (unused/redundant) tv unit.  And there I found them one morning, skating around on the polished wood surface!  I returned them to the den, but by lunchtime she moved them back.  I resited the den and moved them back.  That lasted til the following morning.  So I "carpeted" the slippery shelf with a pet fleece.  And because mamacat had measured up more for her kittens than herself stretched out feeding them I had a number of incredibly hilarious moments during the following few weeks!  That couple of inches above floor level made a huge difference to a little cat whose head would dangle out, or who presented herself to her kittens lying along it so they had to lean down to feed from mama!  Oh those bewildered little expressions!  That one had me absolutely helpless with giggles.  I put a cushion on the floor there for her, but it wasn't as wide as the shelf, so there were still plenty of silly moments.  I still have this cat, but there won't be any more kittens!

Having waffled on for an age, I hope you can find a more suitable space to "furnish" as a den for your cat!

Good luck!

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi MogFoster! 

"Shenanigans" is the best way to describe it! Thanks for the laugh! I definitely need all the luck I can get...

@shunra  I will upload them later. My sister has all the photos on her cellphone.

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again. Everything seems to be going well with Mishka and her bundles of joy! She moved them to a better place all by herself. Thanks for the help and support.

ktknievel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful momma and babies, I was keeping an eye on the thread because Moving Day stories always amuse me:lol3:. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well!

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi ktknievel! Thanks for the comment! Living with a cat (or now 4...) can be bliss but also very frustrating... But the good days far outnumber the bad so its all good!

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww! I nearly passed out and died from there cuteness! I think I will have a heart attack!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) more pictures please! I hope they will have forever homes and be always happy :)

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwww! Thanks Kittycatlovemew! I also hope that they have forever homes and will be happy for ever and ever! Or I could just keep all of them... 

i will upload more pictures when I can.

levi68

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not that hard to tell gender at 3 weeks. Some males who testicles have not descended can be mistaken for girls :) If you can post some butt shots, you will get some opinions ..lol.

My guess by faces is the first grey/ white is a boy and the second is a girl. Now that's a total guess obviously hehe

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Hi Levi68!

We checked them out and its quite clear... haha. 2 boys and 1 girl!

They are now almost 5 weeks old and watching their antics is better than watching TV! They are just adorable.

kittycatlovemew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bet! Can you by chance post any more pictures? I just love t hem like my own now! I hope they find amazing homes :)

mishkak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Hi Kittycatlovemew! Thanks for your kind words again! 

I really need to add some more photos. I will do so as soon as I have more than 5 minutes free hahaha! Sorry to keep you waiting.