How Do I Make 2 Cats Friendly To Each Other?

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, i'm back again posting regarding our office cat! Sorry lengthy post. Backstory : She's extremely scared of other cats and always hide behind a wooden plank when one of them come. Basically, she's very hostile towards them, but timid her always hides. Recently, there's another cat which appeared in front of our office and everyone's love him (its a male and it has a nice white fur as compared to my female cat which to be honest, doesn't aesthetically looks nice). So everyone started suggesting feeding him..which makes me scared. I really love my female cat over here she's really cute and all and i don't want her to leave our premises because of the newly introduced cat which i think he might come back again and take her place. But the downsides are that he's not used to humans (extremely scared) and doesn't like us to get close to him. I don't think he's spayed as compared to my female cat.. What a headache...! So how do i make them make peace with each other so we will can have 2 cats cohabiting our area at the same time!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Introducing two cats takes some time and effort, but it can be done. This article gives a great explaination of the process: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I’d also highly recommend that you get him neutered. That will make the introduction easier, since unneutered males can be territorial. Neutering him will also help his long-term health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Introducing two cats takes some time and effort, but it can be done. This article gives a great explaination of the process: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I’d also highly recommend that you get him neutered. That will make the introduction easier, since unneutered males can be territorial. Neutering him will also help his long-term health.
Wow thanks! I'll try on the guide given but i can't even get the cat to be close enough to do so! Any tips to help him get into the cage without resisting?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
you can start with treats and smelly food-get him used to eating near you. then when that works-put some food in a carrier to lure him in there otherwise you will need a trap and bait it with smelly yummy foods- dark tuna, sardines , rotisserie chicken, meat baby food type of items.

get some temptations treats-start making a trail of those across the room-see if you can earn his trust...to eventually get him to take one out of your open hand.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think introductions of the type in the above article can be applied to cats outside. It's very much intended for an indoor environment.

Honestly, the best thing you could do is trap both cats, get them fixed and treated for fleas, worms etc and find them homes. It sounds like you'd be happy to take the female in and work with her, and a shelter or rescue group that works with ferals and strays could take the male and tame him enough to be rehomed (unless, of course, one of your colleagues wants to take him on ;) ).

Good luck, and thank you for caring for these cats :lovecat:
Adopting A Stray Cat
Everything You Need To Know About Tnr (trap-neuter-release)
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside