How Do I Keep Water From Freezing

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not suggest heated bowls. I know a lot of people who lost their homes to fires running electric outside in rain and snow. Besides, these outlets are at least 70 years old and I do not trust any kind of electric around winter elements. With that said I also do not have water spout to keep the water running. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Without heated bowls, just change the water 2 or 3 times a day with warm water. The cats will get used to drinking when it's available.

That's the easiest and cheapest way, haha. Here are some other ideas:
How to Keep Dog Water from Freezing (No Electricity): 9 Hacks
Thanks. Now I'm thinking of sneaking Tourmaline inside on the real cold days and nights since she was a pet at one time. However as you know Mom is not fond of me bringing her in. She is quiet (Tourmaline) but I do need to contain her when I go upstairs so she's not following me. I saw this and the cat tents are by same company. I just want something to keep her in for a few minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J39BSSM/?tag=thecatsite

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Please someone is talking about removing the cats from me. :(

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
do you have a FB account because there are a LOT of organizations and group in your area.
I second this! I even joined the St Louis feral cat page, their program is really amazing. If you've had a problem with Facebook before (friends and relatives being jerks, etc.), you can use a made-up name and only join the cat groups. But I do think you should join them.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf
These FB pages are really great:
  • St. Louis Feral Cat Outreach - there are some lost cost clinics they will pay for you just have to message them.
  • St. Louis Community Cat Winter Shelter Group

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No electricity? What about DC? If you don't want to run electrical outdoors (which is all I have considering I'm in a trailer and hook up to an outdoor electrical box), then you can get DC heater pads. Look up "RV heater elbow pads" or "tank heater pads". Hook up to a 12V DC battery, and use a renewable source with charge controller. Solar or wind turbine is definitely enough to trickle charge a 12V because you only need a couple amps to keep water bowls from freezing. Also I think I have seen solar bird bath heaters online, but I cant attest to them personally. If you need wiring or electrical help, PM me.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
What have you done in the past? They've been through quite a few freezing Winters outside already.

That's happened heaps of times, and it's never come to anything. I'm sure they'll be fine. :)
Treasure and Sopdet are fine. I'm just concerned about Tourmaline who is dumped pet like Cooper was last winter. The water has froze before on the cats but I don't think Tourmaline is used to it.

I try to avoid Facebook as much as I possibly can but I do belong to both those groups.

Last edited:

TooManyFelines

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe microwaveable hot packs would work? Heat a couple up, put in bowl, put smaller bowl with water on top of them. Or a metal hot water bottle since you can fill those with much hotter water than rubber ones. Alternatively, since straw insulates, I wonder if a large bowl stuffed with straw and a small bowl nestled into it would work too.