How Do I Keep Opi Out Of My Kitchen?

Opi-the-furry-conductor

The viking and the princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Opi insists on following me everywhere pretty much. where ever I am he is not far behind. I have no problem with that until it concerns the kitchen. You see I have a gas stove and right now we have it connected to a gas tank. We will be getting it connected to a tube as soon as we can but right now it's very expensive so we have the tank for right now. There is a rubber tube connecting the tank to the stove and I'm afraid Opi might get the idea to make a chew toy out of it. He is such a good boy though he has never once tried to play with it or even touch or sniff it. I only caught him rubbing up against the tank and scratching on the stand. Every time i see him I yell Opi No! He runs for the hills. I constantly tell him no every time he steps paw in my kitchen so he won't think he's allowed anywhere in my kitchen. He constantly comes back after like 3 minutes later after I yell Opi out of my kitchen! Then I got say it all over again. I tried water spraying because the yelling no and everything wasn't working. That helped but he still insisted to be near me while I was in there. At one point he finally got it through his head that he could watch me and be near me by sitting right near the entrance of the kitchen which I allowed because he wasn't technically in the kitchen. I want him to stay out of my kitchen even when I'm not there. He's a good boy and all and I'm very safe when it comes to gas stoves it's just I get really nervous about it. I'm as careful and extra cautious as I can be when it comes to that. I love Opi following me around and hanging out with me but I just want him to permanently stay out of my kitchen even when I'm not there. what is the most effective way to keep him permanently away from my kitchen?
P.S. This has been going on since me and my husband rescued Opi. Which I believe is 2 months ago. I have been yelling no and get out of my kitchen ever since then lol. I recently started the water spray but it's not really doing any better then the yelling. Maybe just a tad better. Also commercial products are very rare where I live so if you have any natural or old fashion stuff please say those first thank you so much.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Ssscat? I never have, but thinking about it. Whoever came up with the idea of open-plan kitchens obviously didn't have cats!
what on earth is Ssscat o_O?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Opi-the-furry-conductor

Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol I googled it XD if Only I could get that! I guess I should of mentioned this but it's hard to get commercial products for animals here. Shopping online is a big hassle to shipping cost an arm and a leg here it's outrageous! If you have a natural or old fashion thing that would be awesome. I know people here love cats so I know there has to be store with some stuff and least in one city here so I guess I have to go hunting for some stuff. Chances are they don't have it so please more suggestion. Caitini thank you so much for the suggestion :)