How Do I Keep My Cat Off My New Terrarium?

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, all!

I just set up a beautiful new terrarium for a royal python I will be coming into possession of tomorrow. I have two terrariums already, and she leaves them alone for the most part, but this is in a more accessible place and has a more delicate lid that I doubt can support her weight. I cannot switch it with another terrarium, for various reasons.

I cannot use any sort of chemical that might affect the serpent, and one of those automated spritzer thingies would spritz /me/, too (and the snake).

If at all possible, I would like to avoid something visually tacky, like tinfoil, as the habitat itself is (if I do say so) quite stunning. If that's all I can do, however, I'll do it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short of putting it in a bookcase so there is something blocking her being up there, I have no idea. Can you show us a picture of the terrium set up so we can give you ideas? You can try blocking off all the points where your cat may go to jump up there? (Assuming it is tall enough for your cat not to jump up there from the ground.)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions or ideas. Sorry. However, I am concerned about your mention that you doubt the lid will support your cat's weight. For that reason, I would be very hesitant of bringing the python home before you have a secure and safe setup.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that she will leave it alone. I will be in the same room, with a spray bottle, for a long while. She hasn't climbed a terrarium in a while, so I have hopes...

What about that adhesive tape made to keep them from scratching furniture? Would a thin band around the top discourage curious paws?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might, --I've been looking for a relatively recent thread where the poster had a similar issue but I thought it was an aquarium, in that case I think there was a heat lamp in the lid...I'll keep looking for you.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found it, but unfortunately the discussion took a different direction. The poster and another post towards the end do talk about some of the things that were tried and suggested, maybe one of those would work in your case?
What about obtaining a more sturdy lid (it is terrific by the way)? Not that your cat isn't trainable but what if in a year or two, she suddenly decides to investigate?
Any Other Ideas On How To Keep Cats Off Fish Tank?

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Snakes are escape artists, and that particular lid locks to prevent escape. I have a stronger lid layered over a similarly delicate mesh lid for my hermit crabs- I will see if I can find a lid large enough for that.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am hoping that she will leave it alone. I will be in the same room, with a spray bottle, for a long while.
Most people advise against using a spray bottle to discipline cats. Here's an article with more info: 5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat

And some other articles on behaviour/discipline that might be helpful:
Cat Behavior For Beginners
Solving Cat Behavior Problems: The Key Ingredient

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat
Cats And Discipline Don't Mix
https://thecatsite.com/ams/get-off-how-to-discourage-your-cat-from-jumping-on-counters.22407/ (this might help with the snake terrarium)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like if the worst happens and the cat get's in with the snake, it would be bad for one of them right? I'm not a snake person, so I don't know. Could you keep the cat out of the snakes room?

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like if the worst happens and the cat get's in with the snake, it would be bad for one of them right? I'm not a snake person, so I don't know. Could you keep the cat out of the snakes room?
There are only two rooms in the apartment lol

And yes, at this age, Nagini would be dead if Autumn got in. If Autumn gets in, say, ten years from now, then it'd be a fairly even match.