How do I keep cats away from my neighbor's backyard?

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neighbors, whom i have known all my life, have been getting annoyed with me and my cats' behaviors. They are aware of the number i have and never really complained about it until now. I mentioned in my other thread Recently neutered feral cat disappeared that a cat went missing, and i think they might've done something to him without me knowing, and i later found out that they were using my traps to get rid of them b/c they were picking out their seeds they're trying to plant and using the soil at litter. I really don't want to have any more problems with them. The dad is short-tempered, and he's capable of shooting my cats on sight without telling me anything. As far as i know, maybe 2-3 cats jump over there every now and then but they don't stay there to sleep. How can i permanently keep them away from their backyard? should i use a cat repellent? Their wooden fence is around 7 foot tall

Many thanks in advance :D

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short of a catio or installing a purrfect fence topper I have no ideas. If he was less of a jerk I would suggest working with him by offering to pay for gravel to place over his bare dirt to make it less appealing to your cats. I would chip all your cats & make a complaint about your neighbor to animal control; maybe the police.

I would be worried enough about your cats to keep them inside, in a catio, on a harness or in a purfect fence. There are awful people out there who shoot or poison cats!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There are spray on deterrents but I have never heard of them being that effective; I mean the kind that would be sprayed on the fence or around the perimeter of his seed patch. Don't waste your money on predator urine either. Having said that though, I don't think that going to Home Depot and buying a bottle of a spray deterrent will cost you that much money.

How to Live With Cats in Your Neighborhood
Keeping Cats Out of Gardens and Yards
How to Repel Feral Cats | Cat Repellent | Havahart® US
The 7 Best Cat Repellents of 2021
Tips for Repelling Cats | Repel Cats from your yard - I Must Garden

Some of these suggestions probably overlap and a few are written from the point of view of the person who wants the cats gone. There might be something in them though that you might think would be worth trying. Some of the suggestions would have to be done by the neighbor such as planting certain herbs or doing some spraying himself.

I think this is serious. While I am sorry to say this, it sounds as if he has already done away with one of your cats so you might have to try a solution which is further reaching than these.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And if it fits the budget, you can purchase directional, motion-activated sprinklers to install along the fence line. Your cats may get a soaking a time or two, but they will quickly learn to avoid the fence. Unlike spraying cats with a water bottle (NEVER a good idea), the sprinklers mean that the cats will associate the water with the fence, not with you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on the cat. Some take to indoor life right away but others become terrified or may become distressed when kept indoors. This is why TNR programs exist.
I have yet to meet a feral who could not be adapted to being indoors...however, it usually takes MONTHS and MONTHS and MORE MONTHS of slow, patient one-on-one work, which isn't possible in most situations...and thank God for TNR because of that fact!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it legal to discharge a firearm in residential areas where you live? In most areas it isn't. If he is shooting at the cats call the police and say you hear gunshots from next door.
havent heard anything yet, but i texted them and told them that i have bought a repellent and im looking to buy a sandbox so they won't need to do their business in their garden

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
so its not possible then to get ferals accustomed and happy with an indoor life then?
im trying to get as many cats as i can to get used to being indoors. I plan on having some cats socialized enough to be adopted by the end of the year but im hoping to gain my mom's understanding and patience right now.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I have yet to meet a feral who could not be adapted to being indoors...however, it usually takes MONTHS and MONTHS and MORE MONTHS of slow, patient one-on-one work, which isn't possible in most situations...and thank God for TNR because of that fact!
have you sent out some ferals to be adopted? if so i would really really like to learn the process of doing so. These cats deserve a better life indoors, free from the rain, cold, wind, and dogs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have to start to evaluate the individuals and see if you can work with the ones who might be more adoptable. Those who come to you or let you pat them would be first. Some may never reach that point and will remain ferals and outdoor their entire lives, for better or worse. Any cat who seems more like a stray should also be considered for adoption. Once you have identifed anyone adoptable, you can start to look for homes which is a subject in itself but you can get a lot of advice here. Of my current outdoor ferals, only one is possibly adoptable at the present time.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are dealing with community cats then perhaps it is time to involve the community? Get their help TNR all the ferals, setting up winter proof cat houses etc.

You could volunteer to pay for motion activated sprinklers for your neighbor’s yard to keep them out of his yard if he promises not to shoot or otherwise harm them.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Keep your cats indoor or in an enclosed patio only. They get used to it If you have A few cat trees and tunnels for them. City ordinances do not permit pets to stray on others property. If anyone calls Animal Control you will be forced to comply with the law. It only takes one person to make you miserable. Better to avoid the problem.
Best wishes to you and the kitty cats. 🐈🐱💞