How do I keep cats away from my neighbor's backyard?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 24-25 total. 3 spend 90% of their time inside and up to 12 spend the nights safe in my garage
~ That many cats is a health violation unless you have a kennel permit . Best to get as many adopted ASAP. Just a matter of time before city Animal Control comes calling .
I have actually "bribed" a few rescue/adoption kennels with a nice donation to take a few of my abandoned socialized cats. 🐾🐱

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
have you sent out some ferals to be adopted? if so i would really really like to learn the process of doing so. These cats deserve a better life indoors, free from the rain, cold, wind, and dogs.
I'm going to get my favorite expert on this for you! HEY, Jcatbird Jcatbird We need you on this one!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luring cats is easier than repelling them. The sandbox idea is brilliant. Do that! Plant catnip too! Feeding near where they want to potty will make them potty somewhere else. Put the sandbox away from the neighbor. Put food away from the sandbox. Give lots of play areas and make them never want to go anywhere but your land. A catio is great for ferals. I have never had a feral that did not learn to appreciate the safety and comfort of being inside. It does take time for them to learn about a whole new world but , with great patience, you can do this. I have done two very large colonies here. The last was well over a hundred. The majority socialized well and got adopted. It takes time though. I have a few still with me that I thought would not be adoptable. I was wrong. You should see them walking on a leash and harness! BJ previously refused to go outside again. Rain on a cat? No thank you, cat watching TV right now. Lol It’s partly individual cat personality and the rest is how much you can devote your time and resources to them. Networking to find help and homes is top of the list! TNR only works to keep them safe if the area is safe. Google you local area. City, town, county, state and even nearby states. Community cats, feral rescue groups and stray cats. Send messages, call, persist and repeat weekly! You may not get responses at first but just don’t stop! Tell them it has reached a point of life or death for these cats due to humans. As for the humans next door, tell them you are going to get the cats under control. Get help visible there and be sure that cats are chipped and photographed. Document everything, including each conversation with neighbors. Any TNR group there? Get them there! Get them seen by neighbors and let it be known you are getting cats out with the help of authorities. I don’t know how your animal control will receive you but I worked WITH them here. Abuse by a neighbor is unlawful. Even taking a cat and dumping it where it cannot survive can be a legal problem. Video of anything your neighbor does that can be considered cruel, abusive or neglectful can put them in the hot seat. Don’t do anything to anger your neighbor. Let them know you are working with them to stop the problems. However, if they see video cameras, they are less likely to do something wrong. They used your traps? Hmmm. Can you put a camera on each trap? Just to be helpful, of course.
Socializing help? It’s a process. Any cat you have that is social, adopt it out and make room for socializing another. It’s going to mean getting attached and them letting them go to somewhere that is better for them. You are saving lives. Nothing is better than that. Is the a humane society there? Call and ask about fosters. Any shelter that can foster is a great start to lowering numbers at risk. Fosters can help house cats until they get adopted. Just keep doing what you are doing and network as quickly as possible. You can do this.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Seriously, take all of the suggestions that Jcatbird Jcatbird made and determine how to put them into effect. Try to connect with someone or group locally who can help you bear some of this.

I also have to agree with JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia and have been known to grease the palm of rescue groups in order to get them to work with me.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
~ That many cats is a health violation unless you have a kennel permit . Best to get as many adopted ASAP. Just a matter of time before city Animal Control comes calling .
I have actually "bribed" a few rescue/adoption kennels with a nice donation to take a few of my abandoned socialized cats. 🐾🐱
I don't believe a tnr colony is a heath violation if you are registered as such.

Try to reach out to ally cat allies or another organization to get this set up.

How tnr works is it reduces the number of litters being born so 25 becomes 20 and 20 becomes 10 and 10 becomes 5. Eventually they die of old age or get killed. But because no litters are being born the colony shrinks until it is either gone completely or is a small manageable size. Any kittens can be socialized and are easy to place but adult cats often are too wild to be kept indoors so tnr is better for them.