How Do I Help Make Major Transitions Easier?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted anything, life has kept me extremely busy lately. Anyways, in about two weeks I will be starting a new job which will require me to be away from home for 4 days, then I will be home for 3 days. Right now I work at a job Monday-Friday and it is 10-15 minutes away from home. I will be staying with family for the 4 days away from home. My mom offered to let me bring Pixie along, but my dad is NOT animal friendly at all, and therefore wants Pixie locked up in a crate all day long. Hubby and I decided it is the best decision to keep Pixie home because he is used to being free to be wherever he wants be at home and has never been locked up. Hubby will be caring for him when I'm gone for the 4 days, then I will care for him for the 3 days I am home. Right now Pixie and I have a schedule that we follow everyday, and he has a meltdown if there is any changes. I have been thinking of ways to help make this transition easier, like leaving my grey sweater that he loves cuddling with on the couch while I am away, hoping my scent will bring some comfort. How do you think hubby and I can make this transition easier? Thank you everyone in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I personally think letting Pixie stay in his own familiar territory is an excellent idea, no matter what the situation would be/is in the other home :)

Definitely, articles of clothing that will be just for Pixie is a great idea. Your husband already is feeding and giving him treats, and brushing now? That will help.

In addition, try some music, now so that he starts associating it with good things - there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's Musicforcats . com that can be quite helpful.

Congrats on the new job!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi there! If and when it is possible, you and your hubby should start doing everything together for Pixie (feeding, playing, changing the litter box, etc), so that Pixie sees you both doing it at the same time. That will help to establish a pattern for your husband to mimic the routine Pixie and you have, and be a little bit less disruptive for Pixie when you are not there.

For parts of the routine that the timing will have to change to accommodate your husband's schedule, you can gradually start to alter your days with her between now and when you leave so that they come closer in alignment with what your husband will be doing with her. For example, for feeding times, if your husband is not generally present now, you can gradually start to move the feeding times a few minutes a day so that by the time the two weeks is over, the feeding times will better coincide to when your husband will be able to do it in your absence. Same thing with play times, and any other aspects of your day with Pixie that the timing needs to be adjusted to help with your husband's schedule. Of course, this means a permanent change that you would need to adhere to when you are home as well.

The clothing idea is a good one - and, you might gradually start to introduce a piece of his clothing as well. "Equal treatment for equal care takers" - if you get my gist!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions to offer, but do think since your hubby will be caring for Pixie while you're away at work, that keeping Pixie in his own home is the best idea. Good luck with the new job.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he falls apart at a change, I do think adjusting to this change in his own home is going to be a lot easier than traveling twice a week and spending a few days in a cage with some guy that doesn't really like him.
Do you have any kind of phrase you say when you leave the house, like "I'll be back" or "Be good"?
As hard as it will be resist the temptation to really coddle him when you leave on that first 4 day trip. He'll immediately know something is up. Treat it like you're going to work (I know, it's not always easy!), say your phrase or give him a little pet. I'm sure your husband will let you know how he's doing.
Sometimes they adjust faster than we do.
And best of luck on your new job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I personally think letting Pixie stay in his own familiar territory is an excellent idea, no matter what the situation would be/is in the other home :)

Definitely, articles of clothing that will be just for Pixie is a great idea. Your husband already is feeding and giving him treats, and brushing now? That will help.

In addition, try some music, now so that he starts associating it with good things - there's an app called Relax My Cat, and there's Musicforcats . com that can be quite helpful.

Congrats on the new job!
Thank you Furballsmom Furballsmom ! Hubby has already started feeding Pixie his dinner at night, and has started giving him his breakfast a couple of times this week. The treats and brushing from hubby is a great idea, and I am going to look into those apps for cats. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions, they are very helpful! :hearthrob::redheartpump::rbheart:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! If and when it is possible, you and your hubby should start doing everything together for Pixie (feeding, playing, changing the litter box, etc), so that Pixie sees you both doing it at the same time. That will help to establish a pattern for your husband to mimic the routine Pixie and you have, and be a little bit less disruptive for Pixie when you are not there.

For parts of the routine that the timing will have to change to accommodate your husband's schedule, you can gradually start to alter your days with her between now and when you leave so that they come closer in alignment with what your husband will be doing with her. For example, for feeding times, if your husband is not generally present now, you can gradually start to move the feeding times a few minutes a day so that by the time the two weeks is over, the feeding times will better coincide to when your husband will be able to do it in your absence. Same thing with play times, and any other aspects of your day with Pixie that the timing needs to be adjusted to help with your husband's schedule. Of course, this means a permanent change that you would need to adhere to when you are home as well.

The clothing idea is a good one - and, you might gradually start to introduce a piece of his clothing as well. "Equal treatment for equal care takers" - if you get my gist!!
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Doing things together and letting Pixie see that is great idea and makes sense. Breakfast time will have to change a bit to accommodate hubby's schedule, and that is okay. We will start adjusting the time by a few minutes like you mentioned in your post and have everyone present for his meal times. I also like your quote "Equal treatment for equal care takers". I will we introduce a piece of hubby's clothing for this as well. Thank you for the great suggestions, these are helpful as well :hearthrob::redheartpump::rbheart:

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he falls apart at a change, I do think adjusting to this change in his own home is going to be a lot easier than traveling twice a week and spending a few days in a cage with some guy that doesn't really like him.
Do you have any kind of phrase you say when you leave the house, like "I'll be back" or "Be good"?
As hard as it will be resist the temptation to :hearthrob::redheartpump::rbheart:coddle him when you leave on that first 4 day trip. He'll immediately know something is up. Treat it like you're going to work (I know, it's not always easy!), say your phrase or give him a little pet. I'm sure your husband will let you know how he's doing.
Sometimes they adjust faster than we do.
And best of luck on your new job!
Thank you 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 !
Yes, I usually say something like "Bye buddy, be a good boy. Love you, see you later."
As hard as it is not to coddle him before I leave, I agree that he will know something is going on if I do coddle him. On the other hand, my husband is looking forward to this because he is always saying he wants to bond with Pixie more and wants Pixie to sit in his lap at night. This is probably harder for me than it is for him! Thank you for the wonderful suggestions and supports, they are helpful as well :hearthrob::redheartpump::rbheart: