how do I get worm eggs off a mattress?

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK, so PollyAnna is doing a bit better after her enema yesterday (got rid of a bunch of worms and hair in there!) Urinating on her own. Still not having bowel movements on her own yet (could be megacolon). But the roundworm eggs are my concern at home right now. I'm washing all of their things on hot water right now, including my sheets since they sleep on our bed. But how do I go about getting any possible eggs off the mattress? Is there something I could spray on there? Or would they not penetrate the sheets? They've never laid on the bare mattress, so do I have to sanitize it at all?

xerr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawPrinter

OK, so PollyAnna is doing a bit better after her enema yesterday (got rid of a bunch of worms and hair in there!) Urinating on her own. Still not having bowel movements on her own yet (could be megacolon). But the roundworm eggs are my concern at home right now. I'm washing all of their things on hot water right now, including my sheets since they sleep on our bed. But how do I go about getting any possible eggs off the mattress? Is there something I could spray on there? Or would they not penetrate the sheets? They've never laid on the bare mattress, so do I have to sanitize it at all?
I don't know exactly about this but can you hoover the matress ? It's better to be on the safe side.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know how large the eggs would be pu I think you are safe if you have washed the covers, the sheets and the mattress pad plus vaccumming the matress (and its time to flip over and rotate anyhow!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
unfortunately I can't flip it because it's a pillowtop
But I've washed the sheets very well, and I am going to dryclean the comforter. Will vacuuming be enough for the floors or should I break out the steam cleaner (please say I don't have to!!)

hrmom26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by PawPrinter

there is a spray you can buy to spray the mattresses and furniture to kill lice and lice eggs, maybe it would work for worm eggs to?? i mean its to kill a bug right maybe it would work? other that that i would spay Lysol it to death and hope for the best.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The steam cleaner is one way to make sure those eggs don't hatch. It does not use chemicals and it will also get rid of dust mites in the mattress.

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess maintenance is my best weapon against these eggs then?

As long as the cats are wormed, won't they help break the roundworm lifecycle?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To tell the truth I never gave it much though on doing such a thorough cleaning for my cats. Perhaps you could research roundworms and find out their life cycle??

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well in adult cats, it seems that the larvae cycle through their liver, and then lungs, then the cat coughs and swallows them (which gets them into the digestive tract) and they mature into actual worms. So I'm beginning to wonder whether it would be worth it to dry clean the comforter and everything now, or just wait. Seems like they would get more eggs on it, no? But if I don't clean everything well I'm afraid of her having to go through everything all over again. Gosh, she was SO miserable

But I'm going in about an hour to pick her up! She's been at the vet since Sunday night!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its great that you get to pick her up and have the whole weekend to spoil her rotten!!
In my one cat care book it does talk about roundworms and has a pictures (yuck!!)
Another chapter on skin talks about disinfection the premises. All blankets, bedding and rugs where the cat sleeps sould be washed at the hottest setting. A through house cleaning including vaccuuming (discard bag). Floors s/b mopped esp cracks and crevices. It recommends steam cleaning carpets in "severe" infestations.. Alot of the stuff they list seems to pertain to a heavy flea infestation. It mentions a professional exterminator but that seems a bit drastic to me-plus would the products they use work???
To me I would check with the vets again to see what lengths you should go to in cleaning.

coastal1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I didn't see the worms.... the vet tech told me that when they gave her the first enema (poor baby) there were about 50 worms that came out along with a lot of fur... and that (this is really gross) they were underneath the mat in the little tub. It must take a lot to gross out a vet tech, but apparently roundworms can do it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

The steam cleaner is one way to make sure those eggs don't hatch. It does not use chemicals and it will also get rid of dust mites in the mattress.
I was going to say that, too. Some steam cleaners don't have the necessary attachments for mattresses, though.