How do I get taurine in my home cooked stew?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've home cooked for my 9 pets for ages. 4 bichon frise' dogs and 5 cats. I make Spot's Stew from the book The Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown.

It has become clear that my dog Frankie is highly allergic to this stew; 80% sure it is the chicken he is allergic to. For now I will use a commercial kibble for him till I figure this out.

I like being able to make 1 stew for the 9 of them. I can try turkey although I see 2 problems with that: 1. the bird will be substantially bigger making it more difficult for me to debone and skin in the first hour (see recipe at end of post) and 2. the size is going to throw off the protein / vegetable ratios.

I've thought of using ground beef, lamb or salmon as the protein source but I don't know where the taurine comes from in these. Taurine is in dark meat in chicken so this hasn't been an issue.

For the cats, they have commercial dry kibble on free-feeding around the clock. They get a large serving of the home cooked stew nightly and gobble it up, gone in 20 minutes. The 5 of them have been doing very well, 2 of them have renal issues but since being on this they both gained weight and stopped having symptoms.

How I make the stew: boil whole chicken for about an hour, remove from pot to skin and debone. Return to pot and add: giblets, zucchini, summer squash, carrots, celery, sweet potato, peas, green beans, minced garlic, rosemary and kelp. Boil for an hour. Add oatmeal, boil another 5 to 7 minutes. Run it all through the food processor in batches. Been using a 5 to 6 pound chicken.

It is only the taurine which has me on pause. Would the fact they are eating kibble cover them for that, do you think?
I realize I can keep making this for the cats and just change what I make for the dogs, but that means making 2 stews. I may have to but for now looking for info re the taurine.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you just add a taurine supplement to the stew after it has been cooked and cooled down? Dr. Lisa of Catinfo.org uses the Now brand in 500 mg capsules.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I use either Source Naturals or NOW Taurine Powder in my homemade cat food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! That is what I needed to know. Found it on Amazon. Powder. Says 1/4 level teaspoon per serving. I set out 2 cups of pureed stew for the 5 cats. I guess 1 teaspoon mixed in the 2 cups will do, considering they are all eating the commercial food as well.

Thank you again! That is what I needed.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Dr. Pierson’s recipe uses 2,000 mg. of taurine per about three pounds of muscle meat and 3-4 ozs. of liver. The good news is that any taurine not used by the body is excreted through the urine so it’s better to add a bit too much rather than too little.

I buy mine at vitacost.com but I buy a lot of other stuff there so I’m always above the $49 minimum for free shipping!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to get some food in the house for the dog Frankie who has become extremely allergic to chicken. Of course everything I had already -- home cooked, kibble and 2 cans - contained chicken.

The market had sliced beef liver, so I picked up a few packages, those are now in the freezer. Online reading shows this also contains taurine. I periodically added chicken livers to the chicken stew I was making, so I will start adding this to the stew sometimes as well. (too much beef liver is no good for dogs, so I'll just make alternate batches with some beef liver). Considering the cats also free feed on their kibble, I think I should have the taurine covered now.