How do I get started with adopting a stray cat?

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would like to adopt a stray cat thats been coming to my house since forever. What is the entire process? How do i put her in the carrier? She is still shy and scared and will definitely not be easy to put her in it. Also, can someone please provide a very rough estimate of the cost of taking her to the vet for the first time?

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you feed the cat? And does the cat eat while you stay nearby! This could be a long and lengthy undertaking and expensive! It took me 18 months before a fer kitten completely accepted me

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? Here in the Northeast there are several options for lost cost vetting ($100) neutering, rabies, distemper, revolution. Also, a local rescue (small volunteer types) might help/trap for you. (Ours does)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am in NJ

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You might long term want to look into pet insurance, will save you $ down the road. (Others will chime in here soon on your immediate question). THANK YOU for doing this!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure about expensive if she's healthy. In relative terms most everything is and I would hate for you to have second thoughts based on that thought. That said, it only makes sense to try and have funds set aside for unexpected vet bills.

I have read that when you pay for the care of the cat, those invoices are proof that the cat is yours.

I glanced through the article I linked really fast but I didn't see that it mentioned getting the cat microchipped which is very important.

You might start setting the carrier outside, and maybe try feeding her in it.

There's this, but I don't know for certain how current it is;
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed – TheCatSite Articles

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go to a VCA (Veterinary Clinics of America) clinic, the first visit is free. They also have a plan where you pay some each month and get a number of services at no additional charge. Pet insurance does not generally cover routine vaccinations or regular exams.

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you go to a VCA (Veterinary Clinics of America) clinic, the first visit is free. They also have a plan where you pay some each month and get a number of services at no additional charge. Pet insurance does not generally cover routine vaccinations or regular exams.
I found $20 off first visit for VCA, not sure about the free visit

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm not sure about expensive if she's healthy. In relative terms most everything is and I would hate for you to have second thoughts based on that thought. That said, it only makes sense to try and have funds set aside for unexpected vet bills.

I have read that when you pay for the care of the cat, those invoices are proof that the cat is yours.

I glanced through the article I linked really fast but I didn't see that it mentioned getting the cat microchipped which is very important.

You might start setting the carrier outside, and maybe try feeding her in it.

There's this, but I don't know for certain how current it is;
How Much Does It Cost To Get A Cat Fixed – TheCatSite Articles
Oh luckily my stray cat has already been fixed by someone before!! I am taking her to the vet tomorrow and hopefully she’ll get in the carrier. My anxiety is through the roof. Thank you for your reply.

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you feed the cat? And does the cat eat while you stay nearby! This could be a long and lengthy undertaking and expensive! It took me 18 months before a fer kitten completely accepted me
She is very friendly with me and my family. Eats and sleeps next to us! I am just hoping all goes well at the vet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may want to reach out to a local rescue and find out what the laws are in your state or county. Before you can simply take in an animal from the street, some states/counties require you to make an effort to find a previous owner--post signs in the neighborhood, Pawboost/Nextdoor/Facebook online, register your animal with the local shelter, check for microchip, etc, and there may be a waiting period to allow for a previous owner to reclaim their animal. Hopefully she can remain in your custody during that waiting period. But they may require her to stay at the shelter for that period. Check the laws so you don't get into trouble. Definitely check for a microchip and post to Nextdoor. I thought I was rescuing a stray. Turned out it was my neighbor's cat. Neighbor got a call from the microchip at the shelter.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found $20 off first visit for VCA, not sure about the free visit
If you recently got this information, it's probably correct. It's been several years since I learned about the free visit, and after Covid, they may have discontinued it. My vet had to let their groomers go and they no longer board.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you recently got this information, it's probably correct. It's been several years since I learned about the free visit, and after Covid, they may have discontinued it. My vet had to let their groomers go and they no longer board.
I got the first visit free with Betty White at the VCA in January this year. I got the free visit coupon through the shelter. That may be the difference.

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went today. They gave my cat 2 shots, blood work for FIV, physical exam, stool sample test, and flea/tick removal. All for $398, but with the $20 off coupon it was $378.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, you didn't waste time, good for you! So, she's inside for ever now?

Keep an eye on her for any lethargy, that sometimes happens when the rabies and the fvrcp are given together. Mildly lethargic is more or less normal, but some cats are having more of a reaction. Maybe next time you can suggest they alternate those two shots if they don't plan to do it, because they can give a one year shot or a three year shot.

pp604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, you didn't waste time, good for you! So, she's inside for ever now?

Keep an eye on her for any lethargy, that sometimes happens when the rabies and the fvrcp are given together. Mildly lethargic is more or less normal, but some cats are having more of a reaction. Maybe next time you can suggest they alternate those two shots if they don't plan to do it, because they can give a one year shot or a three year shot.
Thank you, I’ll keep an eye for that. Yes she is going to be inside forever❤