How Do I Get My Cat To A Vet

Albinogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boi Coby. I addopted him 5 weeks ago. He was meant to get his second set of jabs 4 weeks ago BUT we still can't get close enough to him. He is still very skittish, will sometimes approach us for a pat if we entice him with food. Is quite comfortable getting around the house or even sitting close to us on a bed or couch but anytime I try to hold or pick him up he hisses and bolts. I still can't get a collar on him. What am I meant to do? Do I just wait until he is completely comfortable before attempting to get him to a vet or trick him into his carrier and risk him going backwards trusting me?

He is a fully inside cat all other pets (cat and dog) also up-to-date with shots.

Attachments

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! :hellosmiley:

If he was meant to get "his second set of jabs 4 weeks ago", is he not up to date on shots then? I would still get him into a carrier and to the vet, even if he gets a bit cranky at you for a wee while once back home again. Has he seen your vet since you adopted him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Albinogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No he hasn't seen a vet since I addopted him.

I attempted to grab him today resulting in me getting all scratched up

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing to do when you are trying to do a capture is to lure him into a small room like the bathroom so if you do need to chase him he has nowhere to go or hide. Have the carrier in that room. If he won’t let you pick him up then drop a small blanket or a large towel over him which should quiet him down enough for you to grab him and the towel and stuff both in the carrier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Albinogirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried the towel trick when i first got him. Didn't go well, hid under my couch for a week. He always runs under my couch or beds.
I will see if i can trap him in a bathroom

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
My boi Coby. I addopted him 5 weeks ago. He was meant to get his second set of jabs 4 weeks ago BUT we still can't get close enough to him. He is still very skittish, will sometimes approach us for a pat if we entice him with food. Is quite comfortable getting around the house or even sitting close to us on a bed or couch but anytime I try to hold or pick him up he hisses and bolts. I still can't get a collar on him. What am I meant to do? Do I just wait until he is completely comfortable before attempting to get him to a vet or trick him into his carrier and risk him going backwards trusting me?

He is a fully inside cat all other pets (cat and dog) also up-to-date with shots.
Hes a handsome fellow

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is still very skittish, will sometimes approach us for a pat if we entice him with food.
Then I would use food as a motivation to get near him. Something with a strong smell like a jar of baby food that is "all meat," absolutely no seasonings. Even a can of tuna fish will work just to entice him. Good luck! :goodluck:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing about carriers. If yours is front load only then tip it on its side so you can drop him. It’s just easier because you have gravity and the cats weight working with you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would leave the cat carrier out in the room he likes to be in the most or where he tends to run to, to go hide, and make it a comfortable space for him with a blanket or towel with his scent on it. You can also, a few times a day, put cat treats in it, or a treat of tuna, (make sure he sees you and try to lure him in) so he feels comfortable going in to get them. Once he's comfortable with the carrier, then it may be easier to coax him in the carrier with a treat when it's time for his vet appointment. This requires a bit of time though, and I'm not sure when your appointment is.
Leaving cat carriers out as an additional cat bed all the time is a good way for cats to not go running every time you bring them out. We do this, and we also move them around so they also don't get freaked out when it's vet time, as they are already used to us picking the carriers up and putting them in new locations.

One other thing you can try is to get him in a small room where there are not any places for him to hide. Leave the carrier in there with his blanket or towel and his favorite treat and leave him for a bit. He may go in on his own and all you'll have to do is run in, close the carrier door, and off you go.

Otherwise, you might just have to bite the bullet. Put on a few layers of thick fabric long sleeved shirts and a pair of work gloves, grab a towel and throw it over him, and then put him in the carrier. When he starts to fight you, at least you'll be protected by your clothing. And while at the vet, ask them to trim his claws!:p

If this is something that will be a regular occurrence, I would recommend getting a carrier that opens from the top, they are easier to "load" when you have a fighting ninja cat.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everybody has given great advise.Since he hasn't been to the vet since you adopted he really needs to go. If you're not able to get him to go into the carrier soon go with Jem Jem advise.

Remember to take a stool sample. Also have a few special items you know he likes for when he gets home.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell your vet that you're having trouble. Ask if he can send a couple of his kennel staff out to help you catch your cat. You will have to pay them. Watch them. See what they do. You may have to have them come out a couple of more times, but you will get your cat to the vet and you will learn how to do it. Seeing is sometimes an easier way to 'get' something than hearing how to do it.

If his hiding under the bed bothers you. Take the bed off the frame and put the frame away for a few months until you have a closer relationship. You can take the legs off of the sofa, of stuff bedding tightly under the front and sides to keep him out from under it.

Sleeping without the frame is simply like seeming on a firm mattress. No problem.

Good luck to both of you.